Safe drinking containers

K0k0shka

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
Jul 24, 2019
Boston Area, MA
My Coop
My Coop
I want to change my outdoor waterer with something that looks nicer and blends with the background better. I found some nice natural-looking fake rock and log planters that I want to use for water for my chickens. They are meant for terrariums, so sorta with animals in mind, but not to drink from directly... They are made of polyurethane in the form of a hard foam. Would they be safe for chickens to drink from? Would anything harmful leech into the water? If yes, is there anything I can paint and seal the inside with to make it safe?

Can you find a bucket that will fit inside them?
That’s a great idea! One of them has a round hole and I think it’s meant to fit a flower pot. I can find a pot and seal the holes. The other one is rectangular and not a standard pot size... so that one would be more complicated...

Is it hard enough that if they peck at it, it won't break? You definitely don't want them consuming chunks of polyurethane!
It’s pretty hard, harder than filler foam, but I guess a determined chicken can probably rip chunks off if it really wanted to. Ugh. I may try the one with the round hole, with a flower pot inside, and watch the chickens for pecking before I leave them alone with it. Both planters look so nice though! I hate the ugly plastic or metal feeders and waterers :lol: If this doesn’t work out, I may need to hand craft something.

I personally just use buckets to provide water. Those and black rubber pans. Buckets come in many colors if you want.

It’s pretty hard, harder than filler foam, but I guess a determined chicken can probably rip chunks off if it really wanted to. Ugh. I may try the one with the round hole, with a flower pot inside, and watch the chickens for pecking before I leave them alone with it. Both planters look so nice though! I hate the ugly plastic or metal feeders and waterers :lol: If this doesn’t work out, I may need to hand craft something.
I definitely understand! Someone could make ton of money producing designer chicken products 😂 I know manyyy people would buy them

I definitely understand! Someone could make ton of money producing designer chicken products 😂 I know manyyy people would buy them
Right? Not even designer, just... not ugly :lol: I want something that looks natural, like rocks or wood (regardless of what it’s actually made of). I have a nice woodsy run with trees and greenery, and the standard waterers or buckets are an eye sore.

Back
Top Bottom