1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Safe Grass Seed

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by colmcmanus, Apr 25, 2016.

1. colmcmanus

colmcmanus Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2013
    I'm planning to grow grass in small sections in the area where my birds free range. We are planning to fence off each area, but knowing our birds, they may get creative and find their way in the area and eat a little before we scoot them out. I want to buy grass seed that will not harm them in case they ingest some. I believe I should look for untreated seed, but not certain, and not sure what to look for beyond that. Any help is appreciated. Also willing to buy online if anyone has recommendations.

2. thebulg

thebulg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2015
    North carolina
    My recommendation based on almost no knowledge of the subject is to find a local seed and grain shop :) my second recommendation would be to consider other ground covers if it's an area you can live with not having grass in, to give them some more variety and give your lawn a little depth, but that's not for everyone :)

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Untreated seed for sure, and realize that you can have a lovely lawn, or chickens, so plan that way. Mulch? Other ground covers? Mint and other herbs? Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by