Safe heat source and Brooder set up?

But I’ll have to do either the garage or the porch because we have 2 cats in the house and the family doesn’t want the smell..
Oh, then I might go with the garage, just make sure the cats don’t get them. I don’t think the noise will bother the chicks. I used to vacuum every day because I have dogs in my house and it never bothered my babies.

But I’ll have to do either the garage or the porch because we have 2 cats in the house and the family doesn’t want the smell..
I had thought the garage would work well I just didn’t think about exhaust from the car..thought it only be on for about a minute and I could leave the garage door open for a little bit..

I have my chicks in spare room, and as long I clean the brood out regularly, there isn’t a smell beside the pine shavings. The cats would be a problem though! I think if you kept them on the porch, you would have to have a pretty sturdy brooder since so many things go after chicks. I’d say the garage in this case.

We used this
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HVM56Q/?tag=backy-20
and have been quite happy with it.

Also, we have three cats in our house, and were concerned about keeping the chicks safe.

We modeled ours after the one on this page
https://onhitchingpostlane.com/2015/01/31/diy-chick-brooder/

And it was TOTALLY safe from the cats. They'd come in and sit on the edge now and then to look at the chicks, but they could not get in.

Now that the chicks are much bigger, we've introduced them to each other, and aren't so worried anymore, but they're still in the brooder box with the lid on when there isn't a person to supervise interactions.

I'll go get a picture from my phone and put it here.

I'm much happier having the chicks in my daughter's room, where we can keep a closer eye on them and interact with them more.

And it was TOTALLY safe from the cats. They'd come in and sit on the edge now and then to look at the chicks, but they could not get in.
Cat and brooder box.jpg

If you already have a clamp light fixture for a heat lamp, another option is a ceramic heat emitter (reptile bulb)....It puts out heat but no light.
che.png I think I paid under $7 for a 75 watt one on Ebay. I have used it for 3 batches of chicks and was quite pleased with this set up. You have to make sure your lamp fixture is securely hung, and you monitor the temperature beneath it. I raise it to decrease the temp as the chicks get older. It warms only the area under the lamp, like a hen would, or the heat plate, or the mama heating pad set up. The chicks sleep all night when there is no light, so all of these options are superior to a heat lamp.
a cme lamp.jpg

Since I have eggs hatching almost every week, I have different set ups. The first is just a small bird cage from the store. I does keep the cats and dog from getting the chicks. I have a heat lamp clamped to a book shelf to heat the cage. After the chicks are eating and drinking and moving around, the they can go to the other set up. This is just a pen from the farm store. I have a radiator heater. This is so they can get sleep at night. I also cover it with some old plastic lattice material from Lowe's. This keeps them from getting out and animals getting in. Basic caging screen would work the same.

After about a month old, they can go outside to the box. This is just a, old chicken coop I've put on the ground (removed the legs) and taken off the top part (shortened it). In short, I disassembled and put together my way with modifications. It keeps them warm and protected from the weather. The box was put to the test last week with a surprise May snow. It also has a lid and side door. I kept the door closed and moved the food an water inside the box. All the chicks survived outside in the box.

The box can be moved around. Inside I have a radiator heater set low, so the smaller chicks can get under while the older ones can not. The older ones are fully feathered. Currently I have it set up inside a dog pen that has been modified with chicken wire and mesh. The chicks can not get out of the dog pen and with chicken wire covering the top, the cats can not get in.

I have another outside cage where the box completes one side. With this the box keeps them warm and they can have access to the dirt and sunshine. This cage is just a from of 2x2 and chicken wire. So other animals can not get to the chicks.

I make my own cages, and have made most boxes and cages for farms. So it should be easy for anyone to build their own suited for themselves. I don't see the need to go buy some fancy cage from the store unless you just don't have the time.

Thanks for the reccemondations. I like the idea of a heat cave, buy I was hoping to buy something and not have to buy all the supplies and make something...
I did more research and found something called a heat plate. Do you have any experience with these? The seem to be like the heat cave, because there’s no light and they go under to be warm..?
I have used the mama hen heating pad (aka the cave) since we began chicks in 2017. I love using it, even though the setup is not as plug and go as the heat plate. This year however, my ordered chick batch was big enough to warrant 2 caves (aka the mama hen heating pad).. so I broke down and purchased a heat plate. Hands down, the chicks prefer the cave! It’s their preference to lay in, on and in front of. I know the plate is used because they poop on it and they do climb under it too but by far they like the cave.
3D90C738-6254-4632-ACAF-A9AC460C691C.jpeg 69AABD2F-7E67-46AC-B506-0FC20A69D26F.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom