Safe Light Bulb Recommendations

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by fasschicks, Sep 21, 2014.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    I know there are issues with bulbs with Teflon coating. Does anyone have any specific recommendations on bulbs (non heating) to put in the coop? I want to use the safest bulb as I can, but not sure what to use to be certain there is no Teflon in them. If there are CFLs that are good, would love to hear about them also.

Would like specific suggestions. Thanks.

Wendy

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Bottom line is that there is no real safe bulb to use in coops. I see that you are in Wisconsin, and while your winter temps get bad like mine do here in Oregon, I do not heat my coop in winter. Chickens do well down to around -20 degrees. Good ventilation, lots of deep bedding in the coop, straw strewn in the run for their feet, and 6-mil plastic wrapped around the entire run is the way I go. I don't ever want this to happen to me....ever....

[​IMG]

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    They said NON HEATING bulb...geesh.

4. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Most bulbs with a possibly toxic coating will say something like safety coated...or safety bulb.

A regular incandescent should be fine and I don't think any CFL's have any coatings.

ETA: If you have lots of ventilation in your coop, and you should, even a coated bulb will probably not harm your birds. They get dangerous when in an enclosed space.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  5. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks, aart. That is what I was looking for. :)

iwiw60: The reason I am looking for a non heated bulb is to add extra light. My co-op is in a very shaded area, so out of 10 girls I am only getting 2-3 eggs a day right now. I have 2 girls that quit laying when we got them. They had previously been at a place that lighted them for 24/7 and we don't add any extra light during spring/summer. So, I am hoping to stimulate them to start laying after 3 months of no eggs from them. Appreciate you trying to warn me of safety issues. It is definitely a fear of mine and try to be as safe as possible.

Wendy

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If you're looking to add light to artificially lengthen the 'day', which shouldn't be needed between April and September, you might want to read this article and do some searching here at BYC:
    Advanced search>titles only>supplemental light

7. RonP

RonP Chillin' With My Peeps

Lots of information here, do a search.

I personally use LEDs.

Very inexpensive to run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by