Safe to assume by 17 wks that I don't have a roo?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dulcimer lady, Jul 31, 2010.

1. dulcimer lady

dulcimer lady Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2010
    My dh is really chomping at the bit to go buy a And I'm fine with having one but just want to know that he's the only one. I have a flock of 9 that are 17 weeks old. They are all supposed to be pullets - but bought them at tsc and you know how that goes sometimes. No one is acting macho out there and everyone gets along. Some do have quite a bit of red around their faces but I've seen plenty of pic of females on here who look like that. I'm not sure I can hold dh back....but don't want roos fighting either. What would you do?
  2. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    Check and see if any of them have the different feathers towards it's tail. A rooster's tail is different than the hens so you should be able to tell by now. Mine are 16wks and I could really tell a few weeks ago. Anyway hope that helps. If you had pictures I'm sure we all could probably tell you for sure.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  3. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    I bought 12 that were supposed to be all pullets...6 RIR's and 6 Buff O's. Well, it was apparent by week 7 or 8 that one of them was 'different'! His comb and wattles were way more obvious than the girls'. I don't now what kind of chickens you have, but I would think in most cases you would be able to tell by 17 weeks if any of them were roos. Except for silkies...I've never had silkies, but I can't tell anything about them except they are fluffy! [​IMG]
  4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    EE can hide their masculinity for quite a while. Any other of the standard production breeds should be exhibiting secondary sex characteristics by now: crowing, greatly enlarged comb and wattles, pointy hackle feathers(neck), pointy sickle feathers(back and flanks). Silkies are also good at the metrosexual look.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by