Safe to put them in a tractor now?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Robin'sBrood, Apr 27, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    My 4 youngest chicks are almost 3 weeks old and are feathering out nicely. Check out our weather forecast for this week! Do y'all think it would be safe to put them in a tractor and provide them with a 75w bulb in the coop at night? (They would be sharing the tractor/coop with my four 6 week old chicks.)

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

You are probably ok, but keep your eye on the to see if they huddle. Mine are fine outside now and it has been cooler than that. Mine are 3 weeks also.

3. sherrydeanne

sherrydeanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly, I'd probably wait a week. The weather's not bad, but I'd be worried about the 6 weekers. You could put them out during the day, divided, and bring them in for the nights so they can get used to each other.

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Yeah, I'd be more worried about the age difference/possible fighting than the temps. But they might do just fine together, too. Never know.

5. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    If I didn't feel so lousy (due to allergies) today I would probably rig something up for them so they could go in the tractor but be separate from the bigger ones. But since I pretty much feel like death warmed over, I don't think I'm gonna be doing anything outside today. They'll just have to stay in the brooder a little longer. [​IMG]

6. serinat

serinat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Michigan
    i've had my 4-week-old chicks out for a week and a half now. they are in a tractor with a raised floor coop built into it, and there's a heat lamp in the coop portion. they have been doing great, and have enjoyed being outside from the very first day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by