Safe to use oil filled radiator? Also ?'s on dehumidifier

x2
If you are heating the coop and the birds are used to warm temps all winter - they will really suffer when the April snowstorm comes through and knocks out power for a couple of days. Let the birds acclimate to the cold winter temps and work to keep the water from freezing. Cold temps won't kill them if they are used to it.
agreed, the heaters don't keep it that hot, just keeps temps in the 50's (unless I am hanging in there with them for a while then I turn it up a bit) They handle 50's just fine and yes will be fine in 40's ( love those poikilotherms)but that's as cold as I'd like them to be. (same goes for the Parakeets and Silkie chickens)

@drmolarmagic I can see where an aviary with mixed birds like you have would be needing heat. Especially with parakeets. How many do you have?

Regular chickens do not need heat, all they really need for cold temps is a draft free coop for shelter. My chickens were fine in my concrete coop at -30 last year. The walls were well frosted, a couple of icycles hanging by the window and the eggs in the nest box froze before I could collect them after work, so it was pretty cold in there. I had to close the pop door to stop the wind from howling into the coop, but with a little scratch and veggie scraps on the floor, they were happy and content to stay inside. The waterer froze - even though I have it on a heater pan - but other than taking water out 2 times a day, they were just fine.

yes we have a diverse flock, 15 doves, 2 Silkie chickens, 2 parakeets, 2 FrillBack Pigeons. The heaters only go on when temps hit 45 and raise it to the mid to high 50s. Water buckets have antifreeze pan underneath, everyone can be comfortable at these temps, but I know it can get much colder and they will be fine. But Like I said before I can't stay out there long with them if its too cold.....and I do like hangin' with my flock

I have dealt with this for the past 2 winters, the metal water pail with the heater is great, I have the sealed oil filled radiator and made a cage for it from chicken wire that keeps all creatures about 8 inches from it and the whole aviary is on a thermostat switch. In fact I just built a second room onto aviary and added second heater unit for my new Silkies.
Parakeets' cage has an electric perch that keeps warm and all nesting boxes have the electric mats under them. The whole kit and caboodle runs off one power strip from extension cord to my garage about 10 feet away, no open wires or plugs can be accessed by birds.
Last thing I added was a comfortable chair so I can hide in there with my birds and read during those cold winter mornings.....(need to teach birds to make coffee)
Old thread, but you're keeping parakeets in an outside coop? Must not get below 0°F there.
I had two frozen eggs yesterday. Two out of two.

Just make sure it's safe for barns. You can get it at Radiator Village. A dehumidifier could help with moisture, but improving ventilation is key. Good luck with your first winter with chickens!
We've used this one for 7 years and still going strong. On it's lowest setting it keeps the coop 45 ish. Amazon, TSC, and Home Depot I know sell them and the price varies so I didn't want to link one to find out another place was cheaper. It's New Air brand. It does get pretty warm to the touch so it's on a shelf chickens can't get to.

1699330371246.png

Back
Top Bottom