Safe to walk my ducks and let them roam around the park?

MintyHay44

In the Brooder
Apr 20, 2021
I'm new to raising ducks. My mother has raised them all her life, but she let them free roam along with letting them come and go as they please.

I have 5 jumbo pekins, I go to the park a lot in the summer and I was wondering if it would be safe if they came to the park with me. I was also worried that they might just run away if I let them go to a park and play.

They sometimes come to me when I call them- depends on how they feel. But they don't always come when called which makes me anxious to take them out. They are fully domesticated and won't last if they do stray and leave me.

They cannot fly, but if they were to go for a swim I would have no way of reaching them in the middle of the water.

I am hoping to get a response to help me make a decision on whether or not to bring them along.

We are gone for the whole day when we go to the park and we frequent the park every other day in the summer. I hate to keep my ducks in their fenced area all day. They love being next to people and prefer falling asleep with me, which is why I would like to bring them with me.

(My ducks are a month old right now)

I would not take them with you. Besides the concerns you already expressed about them wandering or swimming away where you couldn't catch them, theres also the threat of someone elses pets (dogs) who way more often than not, see ducks as something fun to chase. Plus wild waterfowl can pass on diseases and illnesses to your ducks. Trying to keep your 5 ducks contained and with you would be a pain, even if you could somehow say, get them leash trained.

You could perhaps buy a cart https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/7138liHzHVL._AC_SX425_.jpg and build some sort of cage around it so they couldn't get out. But honestly I'd probably personally get tired of pulling that around during a full days walk around a park, plus I'm not sure how the ducks would feel about it.

I would not take them with you. Besides the concerns you already expressed about them wandering or swimming away where you couldn't catch them, theres also the threat of someone elses pets (dogs) who way more often than not, see ducks as something fun to chase. Plus wild waterfowl can pass on diseases and illnesses to your ducks. Trying to keep your 5 ducks contained and with you would be a pain, even if you could somehow say, get them leash trained.

You could perhaps buy a cart https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/7138liHzHVL._AC_SX425_.jpg and build some sort of cage around it so they couldn't get out. But honestly I'd probably personally get tired of pulling that around during a full days walk around a park, plus I'm not sure how the ducks would feel about it.
Thank you!

I will definitely keep that in mind. My gate was left open yesterday while doing garden work, they had all the opportunities to leave but they didn’t. So I’m going to start leash training and getting them used to being carted around. (My mother is a builder, she built their cage inside and outside for them.)

The park that my family and I go to have a specific area for dogs. We walk on a the trail for a good 30mins before arriving where my family likes to hang out. There is a little pond that most people don’t know about/ don’t go to since it’s off the main path.

I was not thinking about wild waterfowl that have diseases. Thank you for reminding me of that. I just didn’t want them to lose their natural forging instincts.

here is my girl in her harness the other day, start with short walks to get them used to it then after they are 100% comfortable with walks you can take them farther places

Attachments

• 537858E8-816D-4F0C-9D77-C9B3F06BF651.jpeg
    537858E8-816D-4F0C-9D77-C9B3F06BF651.jpeg
    471.2 KB · Views: 22
  • A274E249-999F-47CD-A2B2-F1084A7D328C.jpeg
    A274E249-999F-47CD-A2B2-F1084A7D328C.jpeg
    508.7 KB · Views: 22
We just got out little ducks today. Im not even sure Ill be bale to catch them to put them in a tub or in a pin outside, much less on a leash. 😂 i had a terrible time catching one to put it in warm water to clear her vent.

Tips to get them to trust and look forward to following would be appreciated. I sat for two hours playing music and talking to them (not touching except that one) to make sure they were eating and drinking well, and the heat was right.

here is my girl in her harness the other day, start with short walks to get them used to it then after they are 100% comfortable with walks you can take them farther places
They are adorable!

Where did you get those cute bandannas? And by any chance do you have your ducks wear diapers? If so where can I get some?

I am planning to leash train my chicks when they are older... How can you do it? I already have a harness and leash
I’ve had my ducklings since they were newborns so they automatically got used to my family and are comfortable with people.

They do the approaching, we try not to have the kids chase them because that is frightening.

They approach me and when that happens I pet them. Which makes them want to climb on top of my lap. When that happens I put on their harness and leash.

There probably is a better way, but that’s my way.

They are adorable!

Where did you get those cute bandannas? And by any chance do you have your ducks wear diapers? If so where can I get some?
small shops - that way i can get them custom made to fit my ducks perfectly. yes they wear diapers and you can find lots of different ones of etsy (i’ve heard party fowl pets is the best quality but they have a long wait time, some people say up to 5 months, and personally i can’t wait that long)

Back
Top Bottom