Safeguard and Feather Damage While Molting

Ivermectin - The most common recommended dose in birds for 1% ivermectin (10mg/ml) is 0.2mg/kg or 0.02ml per kg.

• Dose for large peacock (6kg) - 0.12ml
  • Dose for large peahen (4kg) - 0.08ml

The amount listed in post 191 says the dose should be 0.5ml, which is not going to hurt the bird, but it is way more than the recommended amount.

-Kathy

Last edited:
Corid doses - All doses are per US gallon. Make fresh daily and medicated water needs to be only source of water (no puddle, creeks, ponds, etc).

• The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7 days.
  • The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoons, for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days.

• The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoons for 5-7 days, then 1/3 teaspoon for 7 days.
  • The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoons, for 5-7 days, then 1/2 teaspoon for 7 days.

-Kathy

Last edited:
This is how KsKingBee and I worm our birds.
Safeguard dose for roundworms, cecal worms, gapeworms and capillary worms.

0.5ml per 2.2 pounds for five days.
That works out to:
Peafowl Amount (1 ml = 1 cc)
Large Adult Male 3 ml
Small Adult Male 2 ml
Large Adult Female 2 ml
Small Adult Female 1.5 ml
Large 3 month old chick 1 ml
Medium 3 month old chick 0.8 ml
Small 3 month old chick 0.7 ml
Above doses are for liquid *or* paste.

Edited to add:
I do mine orally and KsKingBee does his in a mash.

If they like lay crumble with water you could make them a mash.

Estimate weight of flock in pounds, divide by 2.2, times 50, divide by 100. The answer to that is the amount of Safeguard liquid you'll need. For example - A flock of 35 large peahens might weigh 308 pounds (8.8 pounds each).
308 ÷ 2.2 x 50 ÷ 100 = 70ml

Take that 70ml of Safeguard and mix it in water, then use that water to make an amount of mash that all of them will eat. Make sense?

-Kathy

Last edited:
Kathy, could you explain post number 202 better? Even I don't get it.
idunno.gif

Kathy, could you explain post number 202 better? Even I don't get it.
idunno.gif
One has two choices, Corid powder or Corid liquid. The FDA and the mfg say this:

FDA recommendations:
http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/animaldrugsatfda/details.cfm?dn=013-149
"Chickens
Indications: For the treatment of coccidiosis.
Amount: Administer at the 0.012 percent level in drinking water as soon as coccidiosis is diagnosed and continue for 3 to 5 days (in severe outbreaks, give amprolium at the 0.024 percent level); continue with 0.006 percent amprolium-medicated water for an additional 1 to 2 weeks."

And this link has these instructions:
http://www.drugs.com/vet/amprol-9-6-solution-can.html
"Poultry - as Soon As Caecal Coccidiosis Is Diagnosed, Give 0.024% Amprolium In The Drinking Water For 5 To 7 Days. Continue The Treatment With 0.006% Amprolium Medicated Water For An Additional One To Two Weeks. No Other Source Of Drinking Water Should Be Available To The Birds During This Time."

So one needs to decide if they have a moderate or severe outbreak and treat accordingly for 5-7 days, then another 7 days at the "preventative" dose (0.006%). I always treat for a severe outbreak (0.024%), but some people are more conservative, so I thought I should include all the data.

With me so far? All doses are per US gallon. Make fresh daily and medicated water needs to be only source of water (no puddle, creeks, ponds, etc).

Treat with for 5-7 days:
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Powder is 1.5 teaspoons
The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid liquid is 2 teaspoon.

or for 5-7 days:
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Powder is 3/4 teaspoon.
The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid liquid is 1 teaspoon.

followed by for for 5-7 days:
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Powder is 1/3 teaspoon.
The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid liquid is 1/2 teaspoon.

Total number of days = 12 to 14

-Kathy

Last edited:
I guess what I was getting at is the term 'in the drinking water' and nowhere did it say how much drinking water. It said two teaspoons but not for how much weight of the bird, just in the water...
Oh darn! you're correct, my bad! All doses are per US gallon. Make fresh daily and medicated water needs to be only source of water (no puddle, creeks, ponds, etc).

Drench and mixed in food instructions I'll do in another post.

-Kathy

How about a chart? I love charts.
big_smile.png
Hope I didn't mix up any of this invaluable info...let me know if I did, don't want to mess anyone up.

Perfect, I love it! Can you make a note that says something like this "All doses are per US gallon. Make fresh daily and medicated water needs to be only source of water (no puddles, creeks, ponds, etc)."

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom