Safeguard/fenbendazole for gapeworm?

It could be gapes, but gapes don't seem to be that common in chickens. Fine to treat for gapes, but don't be surprised if it doesn't cure them.

Can you get a 3 ml syringe? If so, just transfer the paste from the big tube into the 3 ml syringe.

I know the pea sized amount is in hundreds of posts, but it's just more misinformation. I've actually measured out how much a pea sized amount is, and it's about 1/4 to 1/3 a cc and contains 25 to 30 mg of medication, which is no where near enough to be effective.

Your 25 gram tube of paste = 25 ml of liquid Safeguard

From left to right - Panacur Paste (10% fenbendazole) - 0.1 ml (10 mg), 0.25 ml (25 mg), 0.5 ml (50 mg).
1 ml of paste = 1 ml of liquid Safeguard

Weighed empty 6cc (ml) syringe

Filled with Panacur 10% paste and weighed. Difference is 6 grams, so 6 grams = 6cc's (ml)

This book says treatment is 0.14 ml per pound, but I suggested 0.23 because 0.23 ml per pound will treat capillary worms, so might as well treat all just in case.

Gapeworm

If you need more proof, here is a prescription from a vet: Note that the vet rounded up to 0.25 ml (25 mg) per pound. I'm too anal, so I prefer to say it's 0.23 ml per pound, 'cause it's actually 0.227 ml (22.7 mg)

Does that help at all?

-Kathy
Hello Kathy, Is it safe to eat their eggs or does a person need to wait so many days after last dose? Thank you.

Hello Kathy, Is it safe to eat their eggs or does a person need to wait so many days after last dose? Thank you.
It depends on how much you give. If you use the super low dose there is no withdrawal, but if you use the higher dose that most people use, they say to wait 14 days.

The amounts mentioned in the pictures you quoted require withdrawal.

It depends on how much you give. If you use the super low dose there is no withdrawal, but if you use the higher dose that most people use, they say to wait 14 days.

The amounts mentioned in the pictures you quoted require withdrawal.
I was using your dose of .23ml per lb for 5 days. One of our ducks is gaping for air so I am sure she has gap worm. Still eats and drinks plenty of fresh water and showing no other distress. Thank you for your prompt reply, hope you have a Happy and Safe 4th. :) Mike.

It's not hard. Have someone help you. I have my daughter hold them so I have two hands free. Then I hold their head back with one hand and insert the syringe with the other. I just make sure that the beak is pointing up and I squirt it down the back of their throat so they get the whole dose. It's such a small amount of liquid anyway. We're talking 1/2 a cc. It's no big deal for them.
I just had to do my girl today. She was resistant to the idea of having her beak open. It helped when I propped it open with a blackberry then tricked her with the syringe behind the berry real quick. Ohhh the look she gave me though!!!

Back
Top Bottom