Safeguard for Goats Dosage Help

Mowglimommychick

Songster
May 9, 2018
Please @casportpony @Eggcessive @Texas Kiki or others help clarify dosing of safeguard 10% suspension for me. I am very confused after reading many threads!

I have seen .23 ml/cc
I have seen .023 ml/cc (which I don't know how to measure accurately even with a tiny 1 cc syringe)

I have seen this dose per lb
I have seen this dose per 5 lbs

I have seen single dose
I have seen 5 days of dosing
I have seen repeat again in10 days
I have seen no need to repeat

I have seen toss eggs
I have seen don't worry about tossing at low dose

Please help me to sort this out. I have youngsters 2 to 4 months and adult roos and laying hens.

I am willing to give it by oral syringe.

1. What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound for roos and young birds in which eggs are not a concern? Is this 1-time or how many days? Do I repeat this dose or series in 7 to 10 days?

2. Now laying hens where eggs are a concern:
A. What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound for eggs that are still safe to eat? Is this 1-time or how many days? Do I repeat this dose or series in 7 to 10 days?
B. If we just want to get treatment done and am willing to toss eggs...What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound? Is this 1-time or how many days? Do I repeat this dose or series in 7 to 10 days? How many days should eggs be tossed?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
The reason for the confusion is that SafeGuard can be used once and again in 10 days for roundworms. For treating some of the worse worms, such as capillary worms or gapeworms, it is given for 5 straight days.

Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight, so for a 5 pound hen, that would be 1.25 ml. Eggs should not be used during treatment and for 14 days afterward.

The reason for the confusion is that SafeGuard can be used once and again in 10 days for roundworms. For treating some of the worse worms, such as capillary worms or gapeworms, it is given for 5 straight days.

Dosage is 0.25 ml (1/4 ml) per pound of weight, so for a 5 pound hen, that would be 1.25 ml. Eggs should not be used during treatment and for 14 days afterward.
Screenshot_20190721-185217_Chrome.jpg

So is this screenshot of a post in a different thread completely wrong?
You said .25 ml per lb
This says .023 ml per 5 lbs
Those are radically different dosages. I wonder if the decimal is wrong on the .023 ml one anyway, because .23 ml would be measurable and more in line with what you said, but .023 really is not. Anyhow, there still is the difference of per 5 lbs vs per 1 lb. I really am not picking on anyone. I just don't want to hurt my babies.

The one lesser dose of 0.023 ml per *five* pounds *is* correct, but it only treats large roundworms and cecal worms and has *zero-day* egg withdrawal. This dose should only be used if you know you don't have capillary worms. The per-pound dose for this is 0.0045 ml.I

The 0.23 ml per pound for 5 days dose will treat all worms, including the hard to treat capillary worm. Egg withdrawal is at least 14 days after the last dose.

Last edited:
This is from a thread I started:
Safeguard Mash - Zero Day Egg Withdrawal
If I use valbazen can the eggs be eaten? I've read that safeguard for goats you have to toss the eggs for 24 days or something like that or could you feed them back to the chickens?
Valbazen would require withdrawal if that sort of thing worries you, so would Safeguard if you use *any* of the doses mentioned in your thread.

However, if you were to use a very small dose of Safeguard 5 days in a row you would not need to toss the eggs. Safeguard in small doses for 5 days in a row is approved for use in laying hens.

The approved dose is 1 mg/kg for five days and that works out to ~0.023 ml per five pounds for five days.

If you don't want to hassle treating each bird you could try feeding it to them in a mash. If I were going to do that this is how I would do it.

1. Count number of birds to be treated.
  2. Estimate the weight of each bird.
  3. Calculate flock weight. For example, if you have 10 leghorns at ~4 pounds each and 10 RIR's at 6 pounds each, that's 100 pounds of birds.
  4. Calculate the amount of Safeguard needed. In my example it's 100 (weight of flock) divide by 2.2 (this converts to kg) times 1 (the dose needed) divide by 100 (the amount of medication in one ml) 100 ÷ 2.2 x 1 ÷ 100 = 0.45 ml
  5. Set aside the amount of pellets or crumbles they will eat in a day in a big container.
  6. Mix the 0.45 ml of Safeguard in some amount of water, two cups maybe? Add the water/Safeguard mixture to the crumbles, stir a little, then add more water until the feed is nice and wet. Mix *very* well.
  7. Repeat for five days and this should treat large roundworms and cecal worms, but will not treat capillary worms and this should not be done if your flock has capillary worms.
Note: If one has capillary worms in their flock a higher dose is needed and that higher dose will require egg withdrawal.

Please, always check my math, 'cause I do make lots of mistakes. :oops:

safeguard_syringe_1-png.1514442

http://www.dosagehelp.com/dosage_by_weight.html

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
Homemade Hatcher Experiment
Farm Innovators 4250 Temp and Humidity Experiment

Please @casportpony @Eggcessive @Texas Kiki or others help clarify dosing of safeguard 10% suspension for me. I am very confused after reading many threads!

I have seen .23 ml/cc
I have seen .023 ml/cc (which I don't know how to measure accurately even with a tiny 1 cc syringe)

I have seen single dose

I have seen toss eggs

Please help me to sort this out. I have youngsters 2 to 4 months and adult roos and laying hens.

I am willing to give it by oral syringe.

1. What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound for roos and young birds in which eggs are not a concern? .23 ml per pound (acceptable to do .25 per pound to make math easier) Is this 1-time or how many days? 1 time for roundworms, 5 days in a row for harder to treat worms Do I repeat this dose or series in 7 to 10 days? Yes, in 10 days if you did one-dose for roundworms. No if you did 5-day course.

A. What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound for eggs that are still safe to eat? .0045 per pound or .023 per 5 lbs. Either way, this is barely one drop and is below even the first line on a 1cc syringe Is this 1-time or how many days? 5 day course Do I repeat this dose or series in 7 to 10 days? No
B. If we just want to get treatment done and am willing to toss eggs...What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound? .23 per pound Is this 1-time or how many days? 1 time for roundworms, 5 days in a row for harder to treat worms Do I repeat this dose or series in 7 to 10 days? Yes, in 10 days if you did one-dose for roundworms. No if you did 5-day course. How many days should eggs be tossed? 14 days after your last dose so:
1. if you did a 1 time followed by a 10th day redose, egg withdrawal should be 25 days.
2. If you did a 5 day course only, with no redose,egg withdrawal would be 19 days

Thank you in advance!
@Eggcessive @pibb @casportpony - is this a correct summary of what you all have said? I am trying to idiot-proof this for myself and others.

I have seen .23 ml/cc
  • 0.23 ml per pound
For cecal worms and large roundworms give once, repeat in 10 days.
For capillary worms give five days.
Egg withdrawal at least two weeks

• 0.023 ml per five pounds for five days
This dose is relatively new, it requires zero days egg withdrawal. The 0.023 ml amount is probably about one drop from a standard syringe.

If you saw 0.023 ml per pound that is probably a typo. It's 0.0045 ml per pound or 0.023 ml per 5 pounds. Let me know if you see any typos I will see about getting them fixed.

I have seen single dose
Cecal worms and large roundworms can be treated with one large dose.

Capillary worms and gapeworms require several days or the larger dose.

All single-day treatments require repeating in 10 days.

I cannot find and veterinary literature that says to repeat after doing any of the five-day treatments.

I have seen toss eggs
Most people toss eggs for two weeks if they used more than 0.023 ml per five pounds.

The zero-day egg withdrawal is new, it was approved by the FDA January 2018.

1. What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound for roos and young birds in which eggs are not a concern?
It's 0.23 ml per pound for cecal worms and large roundworms. Give once, repeat in 10 days.
It's 0.23 ml per pound for capillary worms. Give five days.
Egg withdrawal at least two weeks

Is this 1-time or how many days?
One day for cecal worms and large roundworms.
Five days for capillary worms.

Do I repeat this dose or series in 7 to 10 days?
If given one day, yes, repeat.
If given five days, and I am not sure if it should be repeated.

A. What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound for eggs that are still safe to eat? Is this 1-time or how many days?
If you want to eat eggs the per pound dose is 0.0045 ml per pound for five days.

I do not know. None of the literature mentions repeating the dose.

B. If we just want to get treatment done and am willing to toss eggs...What is the correct dose, in ml/cc per pound?
It's 0.23 ml per pound for cecal worms and large roundworms. Give once, repeat in 10 days.
It's 0.23 ml per pound for capillary worms. Give five days.

Is this 1-time or how many days?
One day for cecal worms and large roundworms.
Five days for capillary worms.

Repeat all one-day treatments.

How many days should eggs be tossed?
At least two weeks.

.23 ml per pound (acceptable to do .25 per pound to make math easier)
Yes.
1 time for roundworms, 5 days in a row for harder to treat worms
Yes
Yes, in 10 days if you did one-dose for roundworms. No if you did 5-day course.
Yes
.0045 per pound or .023 per 5 lbs. Either way, this is barely one drop and is below even the first line on a 1cc syringe
Yes, it's about one drop.
5 day course
Yes
Correct
.23 per pound
Yes
1 time for roundworms, 5 days in a row for harder to treat worms
One day for large roundworms and cecal worms, five days for capillary worms
Yes, in 10 days if you did one-dose for roundworms. No if you did 5-day course.
Correct. Any one-day treatment with any de-wormer will require repeating in 10 days. And as I said before, I cannot find any veterinary sources that say whether or not one needs to repeat after a five-day treatment.
14 days after your last dose so:
That is what most people do.
1. if you did a 1 time followed by a 10th day redose, egg withdrawal should be 25 days.
2. If you did a 5 day course only, with no redose,egg withdrawal would be 19 days
Correct.

Back
Top Bottom