Safeguard for Goats for Chickens

Mother2Hens

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 10, 2012
S. Indiana
I need to treat my flock for roundworms, and I bought Safeguard for Goats suspension liquid. All I have read is to add it to their water. I don't like this method since I don't know how much each one will drink. Seems haphazard. I am going to weigh each chicken. Is there a dosage amount per chicken's weight that I can drop just inside their beak? Maybe I should buy Panacur paste and give each one a pea-sized dose (Gail Damerow's directions in "The Chicken Health Handbook")? That also seems haphazard since it doesn't specify weight. I have Large Fowl and Bantam-sized chickens. Thank you for your advice!

SafeGuard 10% liquid is not given in the water since it settles out. A pea size dose of Panacur or SafeGuard horse paste is also wrong. The dosage of any 10% fenbendazole liquid or paste is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally to each chicken. Give it for 5 consecutive days to treat most chicken worms except tapeworms. For round worms only, give it once and repeat in 10 days. Be sure to shake the SafeGuard liquid goat wormer well, since it settles out.

SafeGuard 10% liquid is not given in the water since it settles out. A pea size dose of Panacur or SafeGuard horse paste is also wrong. The dosage of any 10% fenbendazole liquid or paste is 0.25 ml per pound of weight given orally to each chicken. Give it for 5 consecutive days to treat most chicken worms except tapeworms. For round worms only, give it once and repeat in 10 days. Be sure to shake the SafeGuard liquid goat wormer well, since it settles out.
I appreciate you taking the time to answer. I think every chicken site copied and pasted the same directions about putting Safe-Guard in water. Thank you!

There is a very expensive type of SafeGuard called Aquasol that is water soluble. It is over $300 and comes in large amounts for cattle farms.

Back
Top Bottom