Safeguard HELP

PurpleCArTires

Crowing
Sep 23, 2020
Taneytown
I read an article yesterday (https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2021/02/worming-your-flock-why-how-when-and-with-what/) about deworming the whole flock by using 3mL/gallon Safeguard in their water. I mixed up a full 5 gallon bucket and actually used it to wet their mash instead of as drinking water (to ensure they all ate it). They ate it between yesterday and today. I noticed ALOT of white liquidy poo on the ground today (not sure if its related).

Now, I am super confused. The Article doesn't say to deworm again in 10-14 days (like most recommend on BYC). It also mentioned egg withdrawal because of finding a worm in the egg, not due to the medication. I am also concerned because it seems 3mL/gallon maybe not enough. According to what I read on BYC dosage is usually 0.25 ml/lb -- So I would have had to give 81 ml to my flock for it to have an effect (assuming average weight of 5lbs/bird).

So I have been looking for actual egg withdrawal periods. I see a lot of conflicting information on BYC and google. I see most people say there is no studies on egg withdrawal so 14 days is average. But google has lots of articles that say no egg withdrawal for fenbendazole products (including this one from PennState Ext https://extension.psu.edu/deworming-backyard-poultry)

Any help is appreciated... I should have done more research before dosing my whole flock. :he

And for the future.... Can someone please explain to me the best way to deworm an entire flock? I can't weigh and dose individual chickens (we have 65). Ideas are welcomed! Thank you!

Did you buy the Safeguard that is made for chickens that is ok to put in water?

If not what exactly did you use...a picture of it will work.
Oh sorry! I should have clarified that. I used the Safegaurd goat dewormer.
Capture.JPG

Not giving each bird a direct dose of the stuff you bought is probably not good enough. If they don't get enough of the dewormer it would be about the same as them not getting any at all.

Have you seen worms or collected fresh poop from a few birds to have tested?

Not giving each bird a direct dose of the stuff you bought is probably not good enough. If they don't get enough of the dewormer it would be about the same as them not getting any at all.

Have you seen worms or collected fresh poop from a few birds to have tested?
No, probably poor judgement on my part, but I figured it would be a good idea to worm them, since I have some with poopy butts, some that are thin, and some soft shells, etc. I have never dewormed the whole flock. I have dewormed a few individuals in the past with immediate improvement to their symptoms.

The dosage is on the label. You have to read labels because different products can be of different concentrations. Your goat dewormer is 10% active ingredient and indicates a dosage of 3ml per 125lbs. You used 9 ml meaning you were treating 375 lbs of chicken. Bantams? Dual purpose? I have no idea what your birds weigh. If they average 5.5-5.75 lbs each then you're good to go.

Fenbendazole does not indicate that it kills eggs. It's means of killing parasites is to restrict their ability to absorb food. Eggs will survive. If your flock had an infestation then I'd recommend retreatment in the window of 7 to 10 days later. That this was a prophylactic course of action there really is no need to redose them.

The FDA does not require withdrawal of egg consumption with fenbendazole. It does not readily show up in chicken eggs. This will be a debated topic and some will say you need to wait 17 days. That of course is up to you. How long do you think a dewormer that does not readily get into chicken eggs takes to run through a bird? Couple days, maybe a week? Or just start collecting as normal. Entirely up to you.

I read an article yesterday (https://blog.meyerhatchery.com/2021/02/worming-your-flock-why-how-when-and-with-what/) about deworming the whole flock by using 3mL/gallon Safeguard in their water. I mixed up a full 5 gallon bucket and actually used it to wet their mash instead of as drinking water (to ensure they all ate it). They ate it between yesterday and today. I noticed ALOT of white liquidy poo on the ground today (not sure if its related).

Now, I am super confused. The Article doesn't say to deworm again in 10-14 days (like most recommend on BYC). It also mentioned egg withdrawal because of finding a worm in the egg, not due to the medication. I am also concerned because it seems 3mL/gallon maybe not enough. According to what I read on BYC dosage is usually 0.25 ml/lb -- So I would have had to give 81 ml to my flock for it to have an effect (assuming average weight of 5lbs/bird).

So I have been looking for actual egg withdrawal periods. I see a lot of conflicting information on BYC and google. I see most people say there is no studies on egg withdrawal so 14 days is average. But google has lots of articles that say no egg withdrawal for fenbendazole products (including this one from PennState Ext https://extension.psu.edu/deworming-backyard-poultry)

Any help is appreciated... I should have done more research before dosing my whole flock. :he

And for the future.... Can someone please explain to me the best way to deworm an entire flock? I can't weigh and dose individual chickens (we have 65). Ideas are welcomed! Thank you!
Try using the Safeguard Paste for horses or cattle. .23ml per pound. This way u know for sure exactly who got the right amount of the right medicine.

Back
Top Bottom