Safeguard Liquid Dosing

xoxodanamarie

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 17, 2018
New Jersey
Hi all, I'm trying to figure out the correct dosage for deworming my flock. The first image, I found while searching through threads, the dosage seems to fit my flock perfectly, but here is where I am unclear. If the proper daily dose for my birds is .07 mL, that means a five day dosage would be .35 mL. Looking at my syringe, not only does this look like an incredibly small amount for the amount of water I'm using, but also difficult to measure on a syringe that reads .5 mL measurements. Any guidance would be appreciated as this is my first experience with Aquasol.

Attachments

• IMG_7239.jpeg
    IMG_7239.jpeg
    936.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7240.jpeg
    IMG_7240.jpeg
    341.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_7241.jpeg
    IMG_7241.jpeg
    594 KB · Views: 20
Your syringe reads in 0.01 ml increments. You have fine lines between the bold lines that are 0.01 mls.

The low (1mg/Kg), 5-day dose of fenbendazole will only treat roundworms and cecal worms with no egg withdrawal period.

Aquasol is very concentrated at 200 mg/ml and designed for de-worming very large flocks via their drinking water as the goat wormer version of fenbendazole is not miscible in water.

You would not only have to calculate the correct dose (you already have) you would need to make sure the birds drank all the dosed water. Each day. How much do they drink?

For such a small flock you would be better off using Safeguard liquid goat wormer at a rate of 25 mg/Kg per bird per day for 5 consecutive days to remove nearly all worms they may have.

However, you have been a member for a while. Is it safe to assume you have hens and not pullets? Hens that could still be in molt? If so, fenbendazole is not a good choice of de-wormer due to the risk of affecting feather growth.

Are your birds known to have worms?

If you want to do the 1mg/Kg dose individually, a 5# bird would need 0.011 mls of the as packaged concentrated Aquasol bottle each day. To make it easier, you can dilute that bottle with 9 parts water (67.5 mls) to bring the concentration to 20 mg/ml and dose each bird with 0.11 mls of the diluted mix per 5# bird per day.

After shaking the diluted mixture, you would draw up 0.66 mls and dispense as shown. Down to 0.55 for bird #1, 0.44 for #2, 0.33 for #3, 0.22 for #4, 0.11 for #5 then empty the syringe for #6.

1699465924694.png
Repeat daily for 5 days.

It wouldn't hurt to use a little more. You could very safely double the amount per bird without ill effect on feather growth. If they are molting, you likely aren't getting eggs. At a 2mg/Kg dose, I'd readily eat any eggs laid but would never give away or sell them.

Thank you, all of this information is incredibly helpful. I thought something wasn’t registering with me, but all of that makes sense. We got the liquid suspension for poultry, not the goat dewormer. Yes, they are full grown hens, and I only have one that is molting right now. We have more eggs and we know what to do with, so even if we did withdraw it wouldn’t be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom