safeguard question

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by johndeerelover, Dec 22, 2014.

1. johndeerelover

johndeerelover Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2013
    Carroll County Maryland
    I've found some very helpful threads regarding the dosage amount of safeguard, particularly the horse 10%. I haven't been able to find a definite answer to the days given. I've seen once, and then once again 10 days later, 3 days in a row that's it etc etc. What do you recommend?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    The equine paste dosage is a regular "pea" size amount given orally to each chicken. Repeat dosing in 10 days.
    The safeguard liquid goat wormer dosage is 1/2cc for standard size birds given orally 5 days straight.
    I prefer the liquid goat wormer over the paste.

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

Number of days and amount depend on what worms you want to treat. Capillary worms require a higher dose for five days. If you want to worm for as many worms as possible, give 0.23ml per *pound* for five days.

For just roundworms and cecal worms I give 0.23ml per pound once and repeat in ten days. For all others I give 0.23ml five days in a row.

1 *ml* of Safeguard paste weighs one gram and has 100mg of fenbendazole, so if you're the type that likes to know how much medication you're giving, you can give very accurate doses from a syringe.

1ml of liquid Safeguard is the same as 1ml of Safeguard paste, both weigh 1 gram and both have 100mg fenbendazole.

Hope this helps,
    Kathy

-Kathy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by