Safety concerns with feeders?

Willow's Meadow

Songster
9 Years
Apr 16, 2010
So I heard about a chick getting stuck in one of those loooongg red feeders with holes. I was going to get that kind! Now I am freaking out! I'm getting 16 chicks so the round ones seem to be to small. Are the long ones safe? How can I prevent a chick getting hurt? What are your experiences with the long feeders?

in that kind, the top flips open in the same way an egg carton does, and then it snaps shut. The top is the part with the holes that they eat out of, otherwise it's just a trough that looks similar to a rain gutter.

I use the galvinized metal kind in the same style (except the top slides on instead of flipping up) and have never had a problem with them. The trick to less waste is to not overfill them, make the chicks stick their heads in the holes a bit so they can't just rake the feed out.

ETA: I've had more chicks injured by fence that is supposed to keep them safe....never a problem with the feeders.

Last edited:
I never had a problem, but I never let the food run out, either. As long as there's enough food in them so that the chicks don't have to climb inside, they shouldn't get stuck, normally. You could also just get two of the cheap plastic round ones.

Back
Top Bottom