Sagging eyelids. Tissue under eye slightly swollen. Cherry eye? *pics*

paintedsavvy

Chicken Kisser
May 24, 2009
Pagosa Springs, CO
My 10 week old Buff Brahma Bantam is getting saggy eyelids. It's like her eyelids are growing without the rest of her face and the tissue below her eyes is being exposed. She can close her eyes just fine and they don't look too dry and there are no other symptoms. There is no discharge from her eyes.

I have wood shavings in the coop and dust with food grade DE. My two other girls are not affected.

Just wondering if anyone had any ideas. I considered eye worms, but it seems there is swelling and discharge that come along with those.

I will get a picture up in a bit.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
generally eye worms is a disease of more humid climate and is carried by cockroaches

with that said here is what I would do for her immediately

buy some vetrx and put it all over her head and face rubbing it in
also put 2 drops per eye of vetrx in the eyes
and run it under the wings
give her 1/2 tsp of vetrx daily down the throat
also put 1 tsp vetrx in the water daily

you can buy it at some feed stores if not go to
Smith poultry supply in kansas

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply Home A family-owned business that offers poultry and game bird books, supplies, vitamins and medication. Located in Kansas, US.
www.poultrysupplies.com/ - Cached - Similar

Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply

14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 - 7:30 A. M. - 3 P. M CST Monday-Friday

24-hour Fax. 913-533-2497

any questions email me

Thanks. Here's some pictures. Her right eye is worse than her left.

32336_dsc07796.jpg

32336_dsc07786.jpg

32336_dsc07795.jpg

32336_dsc07797.jpg

Since it was Sunday, I couldn't get to the feed store, but used some double antibiotic ointment that I had. I definitely will get some VetRx, sounds like it would be a good thing to have around.

What is VetRx exactly?

Thanks for your help.

Painted Savvy, what happened with your chicken with the eye condition? Did it get better? Did it spread to other chickens?

I have a hen with a similar problem, only worse, and only in one eye. It doesn't seem like a respiratory infection, since she's not sneezing, it's not oozy, and she seems perky, despite the ghoulish looking eye. The other eye is sharp and fine.

Too bad no one else was able to ID the problem from your pictures!

Laura

What kind of wood chips are you using for bedding? Is there a lot of dust in their coop? Is it damp or have a strong ammonia smell?

Hi PurpleTree!

The bedding is dried grass and there is a lot of dust. But it's not wet. There's some ammonia smell, but not too bad.

What's weird about this eye problem is that it looks like the rim has turned into a full circle, with the eye itself only taking up part of the space. Very strange look.

Quote:
He's totally fine. I treated him with Poultry VetRX by putting drops in his eyes and it seemed to help the swelling go down. None of my other chickens have been affected.

The skin around his eyes never really tightened back up (I'll post a recent pic) like I wanted it to.

Anyway, hope your hen's eye gets better.

So here's a picture of Peaches today at work with his best buddy Mittens. Not a great pic, but you can kind of see what I'm talking about with his eyes.

32336_dsc08062.jpg

It's funny, back when I started this post I was so sure he was a girl, but he's not! That's why he lives at my work. He can crow at the barn all day long.

Back
Top Bottom