Said lovingly, my ducks are dumb

Valntyn

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 11, 2012
Central Maine
Well, it finally happened. It's that time of year where the hose finally froze. No longer will it be easy to fill the duck pools. Buckets will have to be lugged from house to duck pen twice a day. (insert muttering here) Most of us go through it, so I'm trying not to be too
tongue.gif
over it... but it still sucks.
big_smile.png

Anyway... we pulled the two pools from the pen this morning and brought out a big bucket o' water. The ducks chowed down their grain... scouted about for their morning veggies... then went to drink from their pools, only to find them not there. I tried showing them the new set-up, even picked one of the more trusting girls up and dipped the tip of her bill into the water to show her it was there (hoping she'd spread the word)... then left them alone, hoping they'd figure it out themselves.

Nope.

When we went out to feed them tonight, we found they'd dug a few holes into the pond pebble ground, looking for water.

So tonight I tried again... splashed my hand in the fuh-reeeezing cold water. That got their attention, but they wouldn't get more than a foot close to the bucket. In went my hand again, to scoop out water and BabyDuck drank from my palm a few times, but none of the others would. I backed off, hoping they'd explore now that they knew WATER WAS THERE... but all they did was dig their bills into the ground around the bucket.

Dumb dumbs.
barnie.gif

I ended up putting the small pool (smaller than a kiddie pool) back into the pen and dumped the bucket water into it, just because I couldn't stand the thought of them going without water all day long. I set the bucket next to the pool in the hopes they'll get used to it being there this evening and I'll have to work baby steps to get them used to the switch. Tomorrow I'll have both filled, with the bucket sitting inside the pool, perhaps.

Whatever happened to the phrase, "Like a duck to water...?"
lau.gif

Last edited:
sigh, they don't get it sometimes.

I forgot to drain the hoses last night (in my defense, the last forecast I saw before bed said 27F as a low, and that doesn't need drainage). It was 15F when we got up this morning.

I broke the ice off the swim pans and after a few minutes, we all wanted to go back into the night pen anyway, where fresh drinking water was waiting.

Tonight I remembered to drain the hoses.

YAY! Good news!!
celebrate.gif

Today I hefted Wade, our head Muscovy drake, and dipped the tip of his bill in the water bucket. He relaxed and rested his throat on the edge of the bucket, so I slowly set him on his feet, keeping his head where it was. It seemed to me he "got it" (unlike BabyDuck yesterday), so I let him be. When I came inside, I looked out the window and he was drinking from the bucket!! A minute later, the Anconas and Buff Orpington were drinking as well... and Wade was doing the I'M THE MAN strut. "My friends... I found you WATER!" *tail wag* *mohawk* *hiss hiss*

lau.gif

love your profile pic i wish my ducks would lay on there eggs sometimes i even find eggs in they pond i get so confussed on why they lay in the water i cant hatch them that way your eat them a lose, lose situation

It's good that your ducks figured out where water was! I love drake victory dances! My khaki campbell drake had a victory move whenever he bred my duck... He would speed around the pond with his neck stretched out and then he would swim around quacking triumphantly with his head held high! I even saw him do this on land!
lol.png
Love drakes!

Well, it finally happened. It's that time of year where the hose finally froze. No longer will it be easy to fill the duck pools. Buckets will have to be lugged from house to duck pen twice a day. (insert muttering here) Most of us go through it, so I'm trying not to be too
tongue.gif
over it... but it still sucks.
big_smile.png

Anyway... we pulled the two pools from the pen this morning and brought out a big bucket o' water. The ducks chowed down their grain... scouted about for their morning veggies... then went to drink from their pools, only to find them not there. I tried showing them the new set-up, even picked one of the more trusting girls up and dipped the tip of her bill into the water to show her it was there (hoping she'd spread the word)... then left them alone, hoping they'd figure it out themselves.

Nope.

When we went out to feed them tonight, we found they'd dug a few holes into the pond pebble ground, looking for water.

So tonight I tried again... splashed my hand in the fuh-reeeezing cold water. That got their attention, but they wouldn't get more than a foot close to the bucket. In went my hand again, to scoop out water and BabyDuck drank from my palm a few times, but none of the others would. I backed off, hoping they'd explore now that they knew WATER WAS THERE... but all they did was dig their bills into the ground around the bucket.

Dumb dumbs.
barnie.gif

I ended up putting the small pool (smaller than a kiddie pool) back into the pen and dumped the bucket water into it, just because I couldn't stand the thought of them going without water all day long. I set the bucket next to the pool in the hopes they'll get used to it being there this evening and I'll have to work baby steps to get them used to the switch. Tomorrow I'll have both filled, with the bucket sitting inside the pool, perhaps.

Whatever happened to the phrase, "Like a duck to water...?"
lau.gif
Hahahahahaaaaa!!!! Oh Miss L, you make me laugh....silly duckies!
gig.gif
That's so wierd though, mine never did that, no matter how much I moved their water buckets around (did this so they wouldn't dabble holes in the mud in a few spots). Yeah we drained the hose today too since it froze the last 2 nights....20F!!! Doesn't faze those ducks though...they like to eat the ice chunks...
idunno.gif
Needless to say, the next time I drain and refill the pool, I will have to hook up the hose, drain and refill and then unhook it again...they may not be getting swimming opportunities as frequently anymore...

Since my ducks' very best friend is (not me but) Mr. Hose the Lengthy, I will splash the (secretly bucketfilled) water tub with Mr. Hose, because they connected it with fresh water.

Also, I already made the heated tub with the 24W aquarium thermostat, so when forecast prognosticates nighttime freeze I just plug it in.

Back
Top Bottom