Saipan Jungle Fowl and Modern Game Bantams - anywhere else?

brideofchaos

Songster
5 Years
May 2, 2015
Magnolia, KY
Hi, all!

I know Purely Poultry and Cackle still breed Saipans... and was so disappointed that Ideal stopped keeping Saipans and Modern Game Bantams.

I also know that Saipans, for the most part, have been mixed with other breeds from what folks said (probably with Shamos, etc.)...but I'm hoping someone can point me to other hatcheries/breeders who might still offer Saipans or MGBs next season.

Anyone?

Thanks much!
Wendy

Hi, all!

I know Purely Poultry and Cackle still breed Saipans... and was so disappointed that Ideal stopped keeping Saipans and Modern Game Bantams.

I also know that Saipans, for the most part, have been mixed with other breeds from what folks said (probably with Shamos, etc.)...but I'm hoping someone can point me to other hatcheries/breeders who might still offer Saipans or MGBs next season.

Anyone?

Thanks much!
Wendy
They are very pretty!

We do not see many breeds like this on BYC due to them being used for fighting. posts about that are usually removed

That's such a bummer. I've never had that experience with them. And I keep everything from Seramas to Isbars.

The Saipan stags have been some of the sweetest pet birds I've ever had. Actually much more friendly than the hens, that are pretty aloof, if anything. To me, they are uniquely beautiful and full personality. And they are grasshopper-eating machines when free-ranged. Ditto with MGBs.

That's such a bummer. I've never had that experience with them. And I keep everything from Seramas to Isbars.

The Saipan stags have been some of the sweetest pet birds I've ever had. Actually much more friendly than the hens, that are pretty aloof, if anything. To me, they are uniquely beautiful and full personality. And they are grasshopper-eating machines when free-ranged. Ditto with MGBs.
Do you keep other breeds with them?

They sound amazing in their ability to forage and survive predators

Mine were free-ranged with our lavender turkeys and we never had an issue. They were raised with all of my other birds, both bantam and standard until they were about four months old...no issues at all.

They were a sight to see, when they and the turkeys would line up in the field like a farming machine and just mow down the grasshoppers. It was quite entertaining. And the MGBs were raised with all my other birds (the only breed that was separate was Serama as we were actively breeding them, the other breeds were just for beautiful pets and eggs).

I'm sure some people use them for nefarious purposes, but they don't have to be. 😊 And any bird that can back up a coyote is just fine with me. Lol

Mine were free-ranged with our lavender turkeys and we never had an issue. They were raised with all of my other birds, both bantam and standard until they were about four months old...no issues at all.

They were a sight to see, when they and the turkeys would line up in the field like a farming machine and just mow down the grasshoppers. It was quite entertaining. And the MGBs were raised with all my other birds (the only breed that was separate was Serama as we were actively breeding them, the other breeds were just for beautiful pets and eggs).

I'm sure some people use them for nefarious purposes, but they don't have to be. 😊 And any bird that can back up a coyote is just fine with me. Lol
I thought that was likely not true about them being aggressive with other breeds. It is sad that incorrect descriptions still get put out there.

Back
Top Bottom