Sakrete Play Sand Product WARNING!

ChickDrmr

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 7, 2012
Treasure Coast Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Went back to Lowe's today to get some more sand today. I had bought some a couple weeks ago for my flooded run and it turned green the next day. I had put a post on here asking for help without much resolution other than it might still be too wet. So, off to the store I went to get some more.

When I went to purchase the Sakrete Play Sand (the same stuff I bought last time) the cashier was alerted not to sell it because the product was under investigation. The manager then came out and verified that it was indeed under investigation for turning green and growing mold! Closer inspection of the bags I was about to purchase showed small patches of green in the bags. The same color that my run turned. The manager was very nice and refunded me for the 24 bags I bought previously without a receipt or product. He stated the the company was refunding them for all the product they received.

If you purchased Sakrete Play Sand in the past month or so and it turned green, I would investigate with the store you purchased it from.

More concerning is not knowing what my girls have been exposed to the past couple weeks.

If I posted about the sand, I was assuming that you had not purchased sand in bags. I purchase sand from a landscape supply company where it is in bulk and not likely to be contaminated.

Chris

O my goodness! I can't imagine the difficulty of getting all that out of you run, and I hope your flock is ok. I purchased quikcrete. It's doing well. Even so if I need to buy another bag I plan to check the bags.

@chfite- No worries. I wasn't trying to discredit your advice, one other post pretty much said the same thing you had. It's all I had to go by so i went with it. It's a learning experience. :) Chickens are fine and dandy. I just wish it would stop raining for one day.

O my goodness! I can't imagine the difficulty of getting all that out of you run, and I hope your flock is ok. I purchased quikcrete. It's doing well. Even so if I need to buy another bag I plan to check the bags.

Isn't that a brand of quick set concrete????

Might just be some algae or moss...ugly but probably not toxic.
Would be curious to know what the green stuff actually is.

Back
Top Bottom