Salatin Style Tractor ???

myhubbycallsmechickeemama

Songster
8 Years
May 9, 2011
Arco, ID
My hubby is getting ready to build me a tractor and I have a couple of questions.

1. Does the tin that you use for the top section make it really hot?

2. What size wire do you use and do you just bend it to make the apron or do you hinge it?

I ordered Joel Salatin's Pastured Poultry Profits and it should be here tomorrow. I don't know if it will answer my questions but I want hubby to gather supplies tomorrow.

TIA!!
smile.png

The roof can make it hot of course depending on where you live and what type of chicken you are raising that can also effect how much heat/cold the birds can take. I made my sides removable so the wind can blow through on hot days and put them on when its cold. The roof then provides shade which the birds need. When its really cold you can feel the heat the birds generate when you open up the tractor or remove any tarps you might have on them at the time for rain or snow.

CX are not the hardiest of breeds and often can be like sheep just looking for a reason to die. LOL I build as much versatility as I can into my tractors. The removable sides for heat and I also like to put a apron of chicken wire (Cause its cheap) around the tractor to keep foxed, coyotes, or what ever critter has poultry on the menue that night from diggin under the tractor, this also allows me to keep tires mounted on the tractor which makes it much easier to move and they don't fall apart from dragging them on the ground. Mr. Salitan has some great ideas, I just took some liberties with them for my own personal use. I also don't like CX so I raise Rosambro's, and Koshar Kings both of which are much more rugged birds. The Rosambro's dress out at 5 lbs or so in 9-10 weeks and the KK take about 12. The Rosambro has a breast just like a CX and is white, the KK is more in line with a Freedom Ranger just a lot cheaper to buy.

Well that is my 2 cents worth. The book is a great read and use what works for you and try stuff out for yourself. Good Luck!
wink.png

I have a tin roof on my hen house and lots of side ventilation and it does not seem to make it hotter or cooler. It has been 100 degrees every day of June so far...

I have wired in mine and have removable tarps. I can open it up on one side to increase shade and or airflow.. I don't rear meaties in the Summer months here in So. Florida. It's just too darn hot

I was at the Missouri Organics Conference recently. Mac Stone put up a slide of a fence row littered with past "perfect" chicken tractor designs. Good luck with your chicken tractor design evolution. We're moving away from heavy, tin-covered 2' tall heat boxes and toward 8x12 cow panel hoop structures (thanks to some nudging by BigRedFeather last year). Who knows what's next.

I was at the Missouri Organics Conference recently.  Mac Stone put up a slide of a fence row littered with past "perfect" chicken tractor designs.  Good luck with your chicken tractor design evolution.  We're moving away from heavy, tin-covered 2' tall heat boxes and toward 8x12 cow panel hoop structures (thanks to some nudging by BigRedFeather last year).  Who knows what's next.

Would love more info on this. Do you have any pictures? I am wanting to get away from the heavy tractor too but don't have a clue what to go to!

Check out here : http://rachelprickett.wordpress.com/2010/04/24/broiler-pens/

And you can download plans here: http://rachelprickett.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/scan.pdf

Here is what I use: http://gallery.me.com/anthonyjames420#gallery
go to 2011 Rabbit and Chickens on Pasture album

They are 8 x 12 the hoops are made of electrical pvc 1 inch and then cattle panels on the front and back side with chick wire up 3 ft. And metal roofing. Approx. $110 to build with materials

I also use some salatin stlye pens. I like them alot. I hate getting the birds out though as you pretty much have to crawl in to get them. So going that rought I grab between 4 - 6 birds at a shot.

Back
Top Bottom