Sally's GF3 thread

Pics
I'll keep trying. I do get lots of garlic scapes and scallions, just never a full bulb. Need to keep working on my soils, and my patience. But most of what I do get is from supermarket sprouts, so I can't complain about the price.
Want a start of Egyptian Waling Onions? Once you have them, you have them. I bought about 25 tiny bulbs 3-4 years ago. I have a bed full now.
IMG_2466.JPG

Want a start of Egyptian Waling Onions? Once you have them, you have them. I bought about 25 tiny bulbs 3-4 years ago. I have a bed full now.
View attachment 3525260
Appreciate the offer. Tempting as it sounds, I have too many other incomplete projects right now, and its the wrong time of year to plant, well, ANYTHING, here. We'll see where things stnad next spring.

11:00 seems to be dinner hour at the neighbor's for the raccoons. I think they shot 3 more last night. Thankfully, she texts me to tell me they are the source of the gunshots. We had the windows open, and it was rather loud.

What they really need is a roof on their run. I don't know if they leave the pop door open for more ventilation, but the other night, raccoons got in the coop and ate all the eggs. None of the chickens, but all the eggs. Go figure...?

These are some fat raccoons. They have 35 hens. That's a lot of eggs!

I bought my first seed garlic from the local farmer stand. I don't recall how big the cloves were, or how many cloves there were per bulb. I wish I'd written that down so I could compare to what I get now. Almost all of what I get are 4 cloves, with a few that form 5. I had one that made 8 (!) last year.

All of my garlic has grown from the descendants/clones of what I bought that year. I think 2 years ago, I saved and planted some bulbils. They made small bulbs with small (for me) cloves.

Last fall, I planted in a new location, as I thought I saw evidence of some kind of pest in a few of the bulbs. The Great Washout of '23 took a few of the bulbs to some other location, since I put them in the most washed out area, but on the whole they're looking good.

Now that I think about it... it must have been 6 or more years ago that I bought my seed garlic. Time flies.

Back
Top Bottom