Sally's GF3 thread

I made a lot of bread in my teens and 20s, before bread machines were common, or maybe before they were invented..?

There is something really nice and physically satisfying about kneading bread. Unfortunately, GF bread dough is more like a batter than a dough. :hmm

I'm sure I could still do it, but the day will come when I won't be able to, I bet. Especially my right hand.

Hubby likes his no-knead recipe. He made a loaf today.

One thing about a bread machine... it doesn't heat up the kitchen like the oven does!
Nor does a bread machine suck electricity like an oven does.

Very true!

Have you looked online at any models and read reviews?
I have looked at several sites with reviews. I have a very small kitchen with very limited counter space, so I liked the look and the reviews of the Cuisinart compact. It is about 12"x12", and costs less than $150, so I'm thinking of giving it a try.

@fuzzi, One thing to think about: clearance below any cupboards when you open the lid. I had to turn my bread machines 90 degrees from what I would have thought was "normal" so that I could lift the lid.

That is also something I have to deal with with my stand mixer, when I lift the head. But that fits into the corner, and I have it on hot pads to slide out/back. It's a heavy, awkward beast to move. That was another consideration: would there be clearance below the cupboards? We had to rearrange things on the counter to open up that corner, but we made it work.

Today I am trying -- for the third time! -- to grow chard. The first time, I planted the seeds in the dirt, about 15-20. I think 2 have come up.

The second time, I soaked the seed overnight, as I'd read online. Then planted them, and I got 2 out of the row.

This time, I got a new packet of a different variety, soaked the seed, and then planted them in pots of compost.

If this doesn't work, I'm going to conclude that the garden gods do not want me to grow chard.

I'm making rhubarb jam. This is the third time I've made this recipe, and I've tweaked it each time, reducing the sugar. Yes, I know sugar helps with the gelling, but this recipe says to "cook down to jam-like consistency," so it still gets plenty jammy.

I'm making a bigger batch this time, as hubby likes it. :yesss:

Rhubarb Jam

12 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix the rhubarb and sugar in a large bowl and let it sit in the fridge 8 hours/overnight to macerate.

Put the rhubarb/sugar mixture in a large stainless steel pan, add the lemon juice and cinnamon. (Don't use an aluminum pan; it will react with the lemon juice.) Mix well, bring to a gentle boil, and boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Lower the heat and simmer until it's thickened. Stir occasionally to keep it from scorching. I mash any pieces of rhubarb with a potato masher.

Ladle into clean, sterilized pint or half pint canning jars. Cover with canning lids, screw on rings to finger tight, and process for 10 minutes for half pints, 15 for pints.

This is tangy. The original recipe I used was 6 cups of rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice. VERY sweet. Too sweet.

My second batch was 8 cups of rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Good, but hubby thought it could be less sweet. We'll see what he says about this. It doesn't matter if he doesn't like it; I do! But I think he will. :)

I'm making rhubarb jam. This is the third time I've made this recipe, and I've tweaked it each time, reducing the sugar. Yes, I know sugar helps with the gelling, but this recipe says to "cook down to jam-like consistency," so it still gets plenty jammy.

I'm making a bigger batch this time, as hubby likes it. :yesss:

Rhubarb Jam

12 cups rhubarb, cut into 1/2" pieces
2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix the rhubarb and sugar in a large bowl and let it sit in the fridge 8 hours/overnight to macerate.

Put the rhubarb/sugar mixture in a large stainless steel pan, add the lemon juice and cinnamon. (Don't use an aluminum pan; it will react with the lemon juice.) Mix well, bring to a gentle boil, and boil for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Lower the heat and simmer until it's thickened. Stir occasionally to keep it from scorching. I mash any pieces of rhubarb with a potato masher.

Ladle into clean, sterilized pint or half pint canning jars. Cover with canning lids, screw on rings to finger tight, and process for 10 minutes for half pints, 15 for pints.

This is tangy. The original recipe I used was 6 cups of rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar, 1/4 cup lemon juice. VERY sweet. Too sweet.

My second batch was 8 cups of rhubarb, 2 cups of sugar, and 1/4 cup lemon juice. Good, but hubby thought it could be less sweet. We'll see what he says about this. It doesn't matter if he doesn't like it; I do! But I think he will. :)
I wonder if this could work as a refrigerator jam? I don't have any canning supplies.

Let me throw my two ideas into. To thicken it,,,, use a small quantity of corn starch, in the final few minutes of cooking. It will thicken/stiffen the Jam.
The easiest, way to go about that,,, Mix about a tablespoon of starch in about ½ cup of cold water. stream into your cooking jam while continuously stirring. You don't have to add all contents if you feel jam is stiff enough.:old,,,,,, Experiment.
You can also use potato flour/starch. My mom used the potato flour/starch in some of her baking pastries. It is less popular and available than common corn starch. European markets usually do carry it. Europe does not grow corn as much as US. Maybe that is reason for Europeans to opt for potato starch. :idunno
It will not make your jam taste like potatoes.:frow
Second option,,, is to use some unflavored gelatin.

Both of the above are gluten free,,, but do check yourself to be sure.

Last year was the first year I had enough rhubarb to pick, and I made a small amount of jam. I think I got about a pint...? Anyway, I put it in a jar and had it in the fridge.

It didn't last long enough to worry about it going bad. :lau

I have the "not enough to fill a jar" leftover bit in the fridge, and it's plenty thick enough to be a good jam consistency. It does thicken as it cools.

Hubby was in Chicago, doing a trade show booth install yesterday, so I didn't pester him to try it. I will tonight. I bet he'll like it.

Thanks for the tip about cornstarch. Cornstarch is my go-to thickener for just about anything.
Mix about a tablespoon of starch in about ½ cup of cold water.
And, yes, use cold water. I tried hot water once... it was a blob of goo and I ended up dumping it out and doing it again with cold water.

Back
Top Bottom