Salmon Favarolles-- aggressive?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Astrid, Jan 22, 2014.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    I"m thinking of adding a couple of Salmon Favarolles to my flock, but I've read they can be aggressive with other breeds. I've know a couple in different flocks belonging to friends and if anything, they've been at the bottom of the pecking order. Asking the experts here-- has anyone here known them to be difficult in a mixed flock?

Thanks for any advice!

astrid

2. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Aggressive... That's too funny. They were the sweetest most docile chickens. Never showed an aggressive side to them, even when the other hens pushed them aside. You will absolutely love them.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I've never heard of them being aggressive, it's more likely they will be picked on. Are you thinking of large fowl or bantam faverolles?

I understand they come in different colors like mahogany etc.

4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    Faverolles, both bantam and standard, can be too timid and get picked on by other breeds.

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Astrid, do your Leonbergers make good livestock guardian dogs?

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have had several--2 hatchery and 3 breeder quality, and they are the biggest weenies of the flock. Very sweet, docile, and my rooster has to be separate from our main rooster because he would not fight back to defend himself. So he girls had to go with him. They tend to be be lowest in the pecking order, and may be bullied by other breeds, especially if they aren't raised together from birth.

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    I'v never had faverolles, but a few years ago I considered adding a few, and in speaking with a friend who was a faverolle breeder, she was a bit worried that my silkies would bully the faverolles, and I would need to watch out for them carefully. This is largefowl faverolles, not bantams. I don;t think you have anything to worry about as far as aggression goes in faverolles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by