Salmon Faverolle lost beard fluff

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
I have a Salmon Faverolle hen that I absolutely adore, but she has one issue and that is her beard has practically disappeared and her neck/chin is exposed! There's no bleeding or bruising to indicate bullying or mites. My small mixed flock of 4 hens are generally friendly with one another with no conflict that I can tell. I also treated for mites in my flock with Elector PSP and permithrine dust recently. She's also the messiest one in my flock always having dirt/mud clung onto her and getting beard/muffs wet when drinking water.

Will it eventually regrow or is she going to have a naked chin/neck forever? Could it be poor genetics (got her from Meyer Hatchery)? I have an Easter Egger hen in my flock who has a large muff/beard too and its still full and magnificent. Nutrition wise, I feed them Texas Natural Feeds Elite Layer Pellets with occasional kitchen scraps and black soldier fly larvae.

Very likely the others simply groomed it off (especially since you noted she's a messy drinker), if you see no evidence of parasites. Looks a little goofy but harmless. Assuming that's the case it will fully grow back at molt.

My SF just lost hers somewhere the last 2 weeks. Both my EEs spend much of the year stripped of beards and muffs, especially my crossbeak as she is an extremely messy eater.

This does sound like feather picking. I have it happen in my d'Anvers all the time. Would you happen to have pictures that I could share on an article about beards? I have done a small section on beard picking, but I am also curious about the presence of a dewlap on birds with picked beards.

Hope she is starting to regrow now that we have reached September!

I have a Salmon Favorelles and she is beard-/muff-less too! I noticed when I first got her her beard was always dirty and wet, it seems like the other hens decided to clean her up? She doesn't seem to mind the naked face. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom