Salmon Favorelle chicks - Roos or Hens?

Julie K

Hatching
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013
Roosters or Hens? Hi, we are 4Her's and hatched several new chicks 4 weeks ago.

A few years ago we hatched and raised mixed breed chicks for fun and their eggs. Now, we hatched several full/pure breeds for 4H and would really like to gender sex them before winter in Kansas. Here are pics up of our Salmon Favorelles. I cannot tell if saddle feathers are developing, or too soon, or if the darker feathered and darker chest chicks with more developed combs are truly young Roos. I would greatly appreciate insight and wisdom from experienced Salmon Favorelle Fanciers. These 4 week old chicks are already becoming pets, so the process is becoming more emotional. We intend to keep all hens and a rooster from each breed for 4H projects. Your thoughts and comments are greatly welcomed and appreciated - Roos or Hens? Thank you. Julie K.

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

The best place for your post is either the Favarolles thread, or in the What Breed or Gender section of the Forum. I think with Favarolles the dark ones are boys, and the light ones girls.

All the messy looking black/brown/white ones are cockerels. The ones with the salmon backs and white fronts are pullets. Looks like you have 7 cockerels and 3 pullets in the second picture.

All of the birds with the dark feathers are roosters. The light feathered birds are all pullets. Salmon Faverolles have that advantage of being able to be sexed by feather color. Unfortunately, you seem to have quite a few roosters!

Back
Top Bottom