Salmon Favrelle Rooster - Chicago Illinois

I am interested. I live in North west indiana. Bought all sexed chickens and now need a protector cause I want the girls to be able to free range on our apple orchard. When you say not overly aggressive I have children and small dogs. Do you think there will be an issue?

Yeah, the kids might be an issue. We had 3 roos in the past 3 years, each one was very tame when immature. Once they matured around 4 months they each became aggresive. One breed continued to attack my 4 yr old- he could not go out into the yard and he was terrified. We had to carry a stick out into the yard and expect to be attacked.

The other roos were not as aggressive but even this one would attempt to attack through a fence.

If the chick is handled a lot it will ensure they will be tame and friendly. Not wearing red seems to be another trick. Introduce the dogs to the chick and teach the dog the chick is not a pet squeak toy.

I learned this past month that you can also catch the roo when they are roosting at night and hold them upside down until they submit and calm down. You walk around and either hold them upside down or under your arm as you go about your business 10-20 min.

Here is my email, my wife is a veterinarian. If you have any questions, please contact us.

Shawn & Kris
[email protected]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom