Salutations from Chesapeake, VA

valerama

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 27, 2013
Chesapeake, VA
I'm the proud mom to 4 barred rock hens (Helen, Alice, Jane & Sissy). I got them last spring from a family who was moving -- so I got the hen house and the girls together. We had to build them a run, which was a nice weekend project. We've recently 'upgraded' by buying a 10' x 10' dog run on craigslist for only $100, the girls love all their new space. (They get out to free range for 2 or 3 hours every day.) We're going to further upgrade by buying a walk-in storage shed from one of the big box stores and tricking it out as a nice hen house.

I live in a rural part of town and *thought* I was already zoned for chickens when I got them, and never did get a definitive answer from city hall. I joined the movement in town (4 Chesapeake Hens) to get the zoning laws changed and after about 6 months we had success.

I have an Australian cattle dog who's mission in life is to herd the chickens. The fact that they are in a pen doesn't seem to stop her. She still startles 3 of them, but Helen (the girl at the top of the pecking order) stands her ground and stares at the dog, which drives her bananas, and cracks me up.

It's been a grand adventure keeping these feathered pets and enjoying their eggs. I originally got them for the eggs, but have been enchanted by their personalities and antics.

welcome-byc.gif
& check out the Virginia state thread, https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/80/virginia

Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

I have a garden shed for my chickens and they love it and so do I. You will be happy with it.

Your hen staring down the dog cracks me up. Some of those hens think they are 10 feet tall :)

Best of luck expanding your coop, run and flock. 4 most likely wont be enough

I grew up in VA Beach and my husband grew up in Chesapeake. We have land in Chesapeake and have been following the chicken debate there. Makes no sense not to be able to have chickens in a rural area.

Last edited:
Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

I had a hen once that would follow my Cattle Dog Bella around the yard and just stare at her - the dog would eventually get up and move away, but the hen would just follow her and stare. Poor Bella did not know what to think.

Back
Top Bottom