Same breed, same age, one laying and one not??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wattlewaddle, Sep 26, 2010.

1. wattlewaddle

wattlewaddle New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    Hi all, this is my first post!

We have 6 chickens, 2 barred rock, 2 buff orpingtons, and 2 amerucanas. We got them all on the same day, they are all the same age. They're a/b 20 weeks old now. One of each of the varieties has been laying regularly now for 3 or more weeks. The others of each variety are not. They aren't crowing or acting otherwise roostery. Their combs are less developed than the laying hens, but otherwise, they are similar. Has anyone had this happen? Are they roosters even though there is no crowing? Are there behavioral reasons that the others aren't laying yet? Why is it taking so long for the others to lay if they aren't roosters? Thanks for any help you can provide!

2. emys

emys Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Idaho
    [​IMG]

I don't think it is anything other than an odd coincidence that one of each type is slower. I think you just have some genetically fast layers and some genetically slower layers. You are still well within normal range for the others to begin laying.

3. turkeymom

turkeymom Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2010
    SE Tennessee
    Well, I'm no expert, but I think this is pretty common. By 20 weeks, your roosters should be pretty roosterish, so I would bet they are just a little less mature than the ones who are laying.
    I have a batch of hens who are 24 weeks and some are laying and some aren't. As they get ready to lay, you'll notice their combs do get fuller looking, so maybe that's why they seem less developed than the others.

Hope this helps - I bet you'll get more eggs any day!

4. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    If you had 3 start laying at 17 weeks your pretty lucky. Give the others time its nothing to worry about

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    I had a range of several weeks between 3 girls of same breed/age to start laying. Nothing wrong with that. I think by 20 weeks you would have a good idea if you have any roos. Just give it a little more time, they are all individuals and mature differently. [​IMG]

ETA: undercaffeinated here, can't spell.....[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 26, 2010
  6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I was able to tell the cockerels from the pullets at around 3-4 weeks. It was obvious from their comb development.

Of this spring's batch of pullets, all within a week of the same age, only one is laying so far. But I know the others are hens, just maturing a little more slowly then their flock mates.

I wouldn't worry about it. You'd know by now if you had little roosters.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have four older sisters. None of us "started" at the same age either. [​IMG]
    To put that in the poultry sense - my adult flock is comprised of all one breed, LF brahmas. The first one to lay was 19 weeks old, just shy of 5 months. The last two to lay were 9 1/2 months old.

8. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    Quote:I sure hope mine doesn't wait another 3 months.

9. Boo-Boo's Mama

Boo-Boo's Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 EE's...2 started laying weeks ago...one has not laid. Now if I was a betting person I would have bet money on Sweet Checks being the first to lay, not the last! [​IMG]
    She has been checking out the nesting boxes and her comb and face are red and she does squat here of late so just maybe I will end up with 3 blue eggs at the same time one of these days!

10. wattlewaddle

wattlewaddle New Egg

Sep 26, 2010
    Wow, thanks everybody! You have eased my mind.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by