1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

San Diego family of 4 dive into a new world of self sufficiency

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by harvestmoonfam, Aug 5, 2013.

1. harvestmoonfam

harvestmoonfam New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Hello,[​IMG]

Looking forward to learning from people who have more experience than us! Which is not hard to find. LOL We are beginners who just found a spot to move into and start living a different way. The owners of the land have given us permission to "work the land" and use anything we see. HUGE to find in San Diego. We are in Lakeside and have access to a huge yard and land to graze in addition to that!

[​IMG]

This is the walk to our house, this is just the front yard area.

Along with my Dad we have decided to start with chickens! I have a soft spot for chickens, when I was a teenager my Dad bought us girls a chick each, and raised them. We loved our girls!!!

We move in to our new place August 31st, meanwhile I read, and read and read! LOL
    I have done a few projects like making liquid laundry soap out of bar soap, learning to bake with yeast from scratch and reduced our waste and how much we buy. I don't buy it if I think that we can make ourselves. My husband wants to choke me sometimes[​IMG] in the grocery store but he is learning!! LOL

I hope to chat with some of you in the near future. If you are in or around San Diego and might have some chicks available soon let me know!

Sara P.

2. Hi! I'm posting to follow this thread. You may want to check out one of BYC's sister sites,
    SufficientSelf.com

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC! Good luck with your new place!

4. [​IMG]

Good for you to find a landlord who is permissive. Your are traveling on a road less traveled by. But it can be very rewarding. A hand pump well is worth its weight in gold. [​IMG] That may be taking it a bit farther than they want but worth a try, right?

Best of wishes to ya.

5. harvestmoonfam

harvestmoonfam New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Thank you! I will check it out

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Sara, and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you aboard!! Good luck and enjoy!!

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    [​IMG]

8. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Welcome and best of luck to you!

9. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] To reach others in your state go to "where am I, where are you," forum to locate & post on the California thread

10. SoCalChickie

SoCalChickie Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    Hi Sara -

I'm in San Diego too!! We got chickens over Memorial Day weekend, so I'm fairly new at this too. It is super fun and very rewarding. We are in No. County and have had great luck with supplies at Hawthorne Country Store in Escondido. And our friends even got their baby chicks from them.

Good luck!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by