San Diego Meetup Feb 25, 2012/Pics pg.1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

These are GREAT questions, and ones I remember having. Maybe we can flesh out this list a bit...

"Started" - don't need a heat lamp, mostly feathered out, probably not ready for living with the grown flock yet
"Point of Lay" - a pullet who is almost ready to start laying. Depending on breed, this could be anywhere from 14 to (in my case) 39 weeks.
lau.gif

My mind is now drawing a blank. I do really hope that somebody is bringing Swedish Flower Hens! I'm dying to see them in person. And Cream Legbars.

Quote:

These are GREAT questions, and ones I remember having. Maybe we can flesh out this list a bit...

"Started" - don't need a heat lamp, mostly feathered out, probably not ready for living with the grown flock yet
"Point of Lay" - a pullet who is almost ready to start laying. Depending on breed, this could be anywhere from 14 to (in my case) 39 weeks.
lau.gif

My mind is now drawing a blank. I do really hope that somebody is bringing Swedish Flower Hens! I'm dying to see them in person. And Cream Legbars.
Covetous Ahhh ahhh ahh (best Homer Simpson) Creme Legbarrrssss.... me want big time.

deb

I always think of "started" birds as ones that don't need the heatlamp anymore, and can generally go outside in a coop, but aren't to sexual maturity yet (whether that be laying eggs or crowing). 

Generally sold for people who don't want to tackle raising chicks in a brooder with a heatlamp. :)

Yeah, that makes more sense.

I was doing some thinking this morning. If I'm having Renee hatch me some eggs, I really need to reduce the number of chickens I have here now. Hovering around the "20" mark seems to be a good fit for me, soooooo.... I'm going to offer up some laying hens. These girls are good layers and have already gone through their first molt.

1. Partridge Cochin - a big girl, she's prettier than this picture shows. Brown eggs. She's the one
in the middle, right above the Barred Rock.

2. Salmon Faverolle - my most "chatty" chicken; we call her Frenchie. Small light brown egg,
almost creamy looking.

3. & 4. Barred Rocks - I have four of them, and I'm willing to part with two. Great birds who lay
lots of big, brown eggs.

I don't know what the market is on nice, laying hens. I saw some pretty awful Red Stars with cut beaks and sparse feathers going for $15 recently, so I'm going to say $20 each. These are all nice girls, and have been raised on organic feeds from day 1. Let me know if anyone is interested, and I'll have them penned separately for the meet-up.

Last edited:
I was doing some thinking this morning. If I'm having Renee hatch me some eggs, I really need to reduce the number of chickens I have here now. Hovering around the "20" mark seems to be a good fit for me, soooooo.... I'm going to offer up some laying hens. These girls are good layers and have already gone through their first molt.

1. Partridge Cochin - a big girl, she's prettier than this picture shows. Brown eggs. She's the one
in the middle, right above the Barred Rock.

2. Salmon Faverolle - my most "chatty" chicken; we call her Frenchie. Small light brown egg,
almost creamy looking.

3. & 4. Barred Rocks - I have four of them, and I'm willing to part with two. Great birds who lay
lots of big, brown eggs.

I don't know what the market is on nice, laying hens. I say some pretty awful Red Stars with cut beaks and sparse feathers going for $15 recently, so I'm going to say $20 each. These are all nice girls, and have been raised on organic feeds from day 1. Let me know if anyone is interested, and I'll have them penned separately for the meet-up.

TWENTY??? I started off with 16 like 2 years ago and I am on my way to Hoarder's. I lost some hens so I may be interested. Just so you know, they were accidents and not neglect. Are they friendly? I like them super friendly.

Thanks,

Nancy

Phage &/or Emily -Started Swedish flower hen roos and maybe pairs. Maybe some BLRW chicks/started birds. **Would prefer to only bring the birds that people are interested in.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]What are started birds? Does that mean they have started to lay? I'd be interested in both those breeds! My bf and I are going to try to make it. We don't have chickens or eggs to bring but we can bring some kale salad to share![/FONT]

Welcome Psychochicken and all you new people!! What fun!!

I will be bringing both breeds. I would need to check on the age of the flower hens but the older ones are in Emily's "big coop" (she has them now) with the grown flock now and doing just fine. The BLRW will be chicks and eggs.
I FINALLY got around to taking a bazillion pics of the SFHs (sorry Alison it too so long). Will post a few here and the rest somewhere else (don't want to hog the thread with pics).
Some of the SFHs

Cream Legbars are barred birds at bottom of pic

And BLRW

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom