Sand and Calcium

ClickerChick

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2012
SE Washington State
I have two questions, one about sand, the other about calcium (eggshells).

1. Lizzie (my duck, see signature) likes to eat sand like it is her regular food. I know poultry eat SOME sand and pebbles to help with digestion, but this worries me. Is this OK, or should I remove the sand? (The sand is in a 'nesting box' area for laying and/or dust baths)

2. When the eggs are used, I save the egg shells and dry them to feed back to the poultry. When I crush them up and sprinkle them in the pen, they all come and eat the shells like they're the last thing to eat on the planet! Is this ok? The shells seem thick, so they don't need too much calcium, but If, for some reason, I needed to put a feeder with oyster shells in it for calcium, I'm afraid that they would eat too much and get calcium poisoning.

Thanks! I hope you can help!

I have two questions, one about sand, the other about calcium (eggshells).

1. Lizzie (my duck, see signature) likes to eat sand like it is her regular food. I know poultry eat SOME sand and pebbles to help with digestion, but this worries me. Is this OK, or should I remove the sand? (The sand is in a 'nesting box' area for laying and/or dust baths)

2. When the eggs are used, I save the egg shells and dry them to feed back to the poultry. When I crush them up and sprinkle them in the pen, they all come and eat the shells like they're the last thing to eat on the planet! Is this ok? The shells seem thick, so they don't need too much calcium, but If, for some reason, I needed to put a feeder with oyster shells in it for calcium, I'm afraid that they would eat too much and get calcium poisoning.

Thanks! I hope you can help!
Calcium poisoning is something I have never herd before. My girls free range a few hours a day so they get sand. They have free access to oyster shell in the coop but rarely touch it. I think they know what they need and get it as they need it. Like you putting a salt lick out for cattle there is no worry that they will overdose.

Hmm... In one of my poultry books, it says something about getting poisoned by too much calcium... Which should I trust? The book, or the internet?

Mine are free range, and Lizzie gets plenty of dirt from drilling holes and such, but just eating sand like it's a treat?

Last edited:
As for myself some of these folks have been raising poultry for generations. I would try to find another source ( book ) that mentions that. If I could find nothing I would trust the majority of people on this and other sights. I seem to remember a sight that was a kind ask the Doctor poultry sight. I'll see if I can find it and if I do I'll get it to you.

Actually Scott and Dean (Nutrition and management of ducks) mention excess calcium at effecting growth rate....of course the calcium:phosphorus ratio is key.....still...I would believe a book more than "I have never seen\heard that" on the internet.....

Clint

I found the part in the book where it talks about calcium. It says an overdose of calcium can do some damage to the liver. It's a chicken book, so I'm not sure about what it does to ducks.

If you are concerned about free-choice oyster shell....you are worrying too much....excessive calcium is in exp0erimental diets they have to eat...also the calcium to phosprus ratio is what is really important. what book are you referring to?

Clint

Back
Top Bottom