Sand and Grit question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by JusticeFamilyFarm, Jun 2, 2011.

1. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    Ok, I am very new to all of this and I am realizing that I hadn't researched as much on the feed as I should have. I have my chicks on medicated starter mash, but was reading about giving treats. Then I came across talk of needing or not needing grit with certain foods. Also, I have seen sand mentioned as well. Is sand what you give small chicks, since it is fine, and grit is for older chicks/full grown chickens? And do they always need it, or only when they can't free range (like now, since my chicks are still in the brooder)? Am I correct that the chicks don't need sand or grit when they are just on starter or layer pellets (later), but if they are eating bugs or other treats/foods they will need it? What type of sand? Thank you so much and sorry for my cluelessness! [​IMG]

2. JusticeFamilyFarm

JusticeFamilyFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2011
    Southern California
    LOL... wow, that must have been posted while I was typing mine up! [​IMG] So, putting sand in the brooder for the chicks- sand from outside, or bought sand, like playground sand? I've seen posts about using playground sand for the run/coop- so is that also what I'd need for the brooder as chick grit? Thanks so much!

3. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    I use "peep grit", a bit larger than sand, and increase size from there. My feed store carries this in bulk, it's super cheap, and I keep a bowl full - just as with oyster shell (or crushed eggshells, if that's your fancy).

4. geekgurl

geekgurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    If you are just feeding starter, then you are fine with not offering grit. Once you start introducing treats, then you'll need to offer grit appropriate for your chicks age. Sand is not the same as git. Grit is more jagged than what you'll find in sand. Your feed store will have grit of different sizes. I have 12 week olds now and offer chick grit free choice in a small plastic dish the size of a tuna can. They take what they need. I also sprinkle a bit on their food sometimes. If you do a lot of free ranging with your birds then they will get their grit from the dirt. My birds get some free ranging but I still offer grit.
    Cheers,
    Melissa

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by