Sand Coop Help

Shaycres

Songster
Jul 8, 2019
Hello! It's been a year since I constructed my coop and I think I want to transition to a sand coop. I tried the deep litter method and it is simply not working for me; it's disgusting, smelly, and expensive.
The reason I want to move to a sand coop is pretty straight forward: the soil composition where I live is virtually all sand. So in other words, I can get sand for free. However, I am posting pictures to ensure the sand will be safe for the girls. I would assume so, since they already are exposed to it every day when they free range and I don't think anyone has ever had an impacted crop. I also have some leftover river sand from extracting clay. Would something like this be all right?

Bonus Question: how do I properly seal the foundation of my coop? It's 2x4s sitting on slightly unlevel concrete.
20200802_154102.jpg
20200802_154052.jpg

I can’t speak for sealing the foundation, but I personally use coffee grounds (more or less the same concept of sand) in my coop because, just as you experienced, deep litter just wasn’t working. I scoop everything daily. Just don’t get the sand wet, scoop it, and you’ll be fine!

Thanks for the advice! Only problem with that idea is my coop is 8'×10' so that's a lot of coffee grounds 😂

Thanks for the advice! Only problem with that idea is my coop is 8'×10' so that's a lot of coffee grounds 😂
I am building a 10x20 coup and am frantically collecting coffee grounds from Starbucks. I'm not sure it's obtainable at that scale but we shall see I guess! I only get maybe a gallon sized container from them daily which I can't understand why I'm not getting more??

I am building a 10x20 coup and am frantically collecting coffee grounds from Starbucks. I'm not sure it's obtainable at that scale but we shall see I guess! I only get maybe a gallon sized container from them daily which I can't understand why I'm not getting more??
Maybe a whole bunch of people have the same idea as you ;)

Back
Top Bottom