Sand/Dust bath for week old quails (Help!)

Bluebirdonabluebell

In the Brooder
May 25, 2020
I'm new to raising quail (or poultry in general), just trying to keep them as pets. I wanted to give the week old quails a sand bath, but accidentally bought the wrong sand. I bought hermit crab sand instead of just normal playing sand (Which I read, was recommended.) it contains natural sand, coconut fiver, calcium carbonate, sea salt mix, and probiotics. Is this safe to use, because I know that they will sometimes eat the sand as it is grit for them. (I would also like to note that I am going to put this in a mix of wood ash, and peat moss.) Please help.

I've never used sand but I wouldn't. There's salt in it and probiotics that aren't likely intended for quail.

My quail liked plain old dirt from my backyard to bathe in. It's good for them and helps build their immunity by exposure.

I've never used sand but I wouldn't. There's salt in it and probiotics that aren't likely intended for quail.

My quail liked plain old dirt from my backyard to bathe in. It's good for them and helps build their immunity by exposure.
They seem to be eating the dirt. Is this okay? (It's a blend of 70% percent peat moss and 30% perlite)

Back
Top Bottom