SAnd ? for my dust bath and also Calcium ?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by luvzmybabz, Jan 2, 2008.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    I can not find play sand anywhere around here but I can find tube sand will this work and how much DE to sand also having some trouble with oyster shell will cuttle bone work until I can find some? Found the oyster shell at the big feed store but it is in the opposite direction from where i usually go about 30 miles so will the cuttle bone work for about 2 or 3 days?

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    Playground sand is less dusty than ordinary sand.
    Go ahead and use it. I like to use a mix of 30/ 70
    sand to dirt ratio for dust bathing then add
    enough Food Grade DE so I can just see it
    while mixing.
    As for cuddle bone I dont know if this is toxic.
    If you are already eating eggs form the store just rinse , fully dry and chrush the shells for your babes. You can also feed them calcium rich foods such as broccoli and fresh spinach.
    You can buy products off the web at WOLF CREEK RANCH. Type in the name and buy. They are natural and organic healthcare , feed products for people, pets and plants. Have a Q just ask.
    [​IMG]

3. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I had a Silkie laying soft eggs so I added crushed calcium vitamin to her treats! (it worked after a week)

I would ask at your feed store if they can order (they usually will if they know someone will buy it)

4. Mac

Mac Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    South Central PA
    Cuttle bones crushed up are fine until you can get oyster shell. If you buy a bag of oyster shell it will last a long time. I think mine was 20 lbs. and I've barely made a dent in it after 6 months. I have a container in their coop filled and they eat it as they need to.

silky ma is right - calcium rich foods, and crushed dry egg shells are great. Just make sure the egg shells are DRY and crushed. I put my crushed egg shells in the oven on 200 to make sure. Your hens will be fine using the above until you can get the oyster shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by