Sand for nesting boxes and other sand questions?

stevenwacks

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 22, 2011
We have an English style pyramid shaped coop with the roosting area and nesting boxes on top and the run
underneath. The chicks will be going in next week. From what I've read, I've decided to go with sand on the floor of the run. Should I also use sand in the roosting and nesting area?

We are in Los Angeles. If anyone has a lead on river sand in this area, please let me know. If not I will probably use paver sand. Does anyone know if there are any chemicals in this type of sand or if there is a better type to use?

Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
I would use pine shavings or straw in the nest boxes. By roost, do you mean the coop? I don't see anything wrong with putting sand in there, but it may be cold in the winter.
I have pine shavings on my coop floor.

We all get the jist of what you are saying. I did think that you were 'sad in a coop' as in you were crying in your coop.
gig.gif

I agree that sand might be a bit cold in winter, depending where you live. And I don't know how well they would use the nest boxes with sand in them; they like to throw some hay or pine shavings or whatever on their back, to camoflauge themselves, or so they think. They also like to "hollow out" a spot for their eggs, which I would think would work a lot better with pine shavings or hay (or straw, or any number of other things) than sand. I might use sand on the floor of a coop but I don't think I would put it in nest boxes.

People use rice hulls, shredded paper, dry fallen leaves, shredded corn cobs -- all sorts of stuff; whatever is available.

Steven, Man, i was feeling bad for you dude! Wondered why you were sad in your coop? Just joking. I like shavings. just my humble opinion. I think they help keep the coop florr warmer than sand would and I don't like the idea of scooping chicken poop. with 6" layer of shavings the poop just disappears into the shavings and absorbed by the dryness of the material, along with some lime spread in occasionally. Good luck
Erik

I have sand in my open air pens and that is awesome. I just the other day tried sand in the nest box. Epic failure. So, then I tried putting hay in on top of the sand so the sand could cushion the box bottom because they wallowed a whole in the hay and the egg cracked on the wooden box bottom. That worked okay.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom