1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand Hill Hatchery assortment, what's what?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by gmtarsw, Sep 21, 2013.

1. gmtarsw

gmtarsw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    1.) the chick with black and yellow mottled coloration has fluff on his legs.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3.) oddly enough although none of the possible breed i list below have five toes, this chick does.
    [​IMG]

4.) the picture below im pretty sure is a polish due to the fluffier head
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7.) in this picture, the grey, red/brown, and black chick i believe to be the egytian fyoumi.
    [​IMG]

ok so i have been given these 6 chicks but i dont know what i have. i am under the impression that they are possibly, polish, minorca, cornish, fayoumi, crevecoeur, lakenvelder, kraienkoppe, langshan, or sussexs, due to the fact thats what the hatchery says they sent, (my neighbour ordered an assortment from sand hill preservation)

any guesses?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    The feather legged one is probably the Langshan from your list. Agree on the polish and EF. I am not sure which chick you are saying has five toes, but I have gotten filler dorkings from them before and they have all colors. The only potential chipmunk striped breed I see listed is the Sussex & Krainen, but you should be able to tell them apart by comb. The Minorcas should be big tall chicks, could be either of the black or white ones.

3. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I agree with Veer67's guesses.

5. gmtarsw

gmtarsw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    so its not letting me post more pics of the black chick, the one you guys say is possibly a dorking, my question is, the order that was placed was for hatchery picked assortment, if they got to pick out which chicks were sent, and they sent us a packing list of the chicks they sent, would they send a dorking and not label the fact that they sent a dorking?

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    I have gotten chicks that were not on the packing list, usually just one or two in a shipment, always figured they were either box jumpers or egg mixups, mistake in packing list (have had that happen) or just leftover chicks and since I usually get a bunch of breeds they just tossed in an extra chick. I have never ordered dorkings, but got two that were not listed, and three one time that were.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by