Sand in coop & run during winter months?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by blackswamp, Aug 27, 2013.

1. blackswamp

blackswamp Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2012
    NW Ohio
    Right now I have sand in my coop & my run is dirt at this time. I have buckets of sand ready to put in the run. My question is the sand going to be too cold for them during the winter (NW Ohio). I will leave the run under the coop dirt because they like hanging out under there & they got some pretty big holes dug that they like to lay down in. Sand is great for cleaning up there mess but I don't want my girls to have frozen feet either.

Can I have sand in both?
    Should I take the sand out of coop during winter months but leave the sand in the run?

Thanks Jeff

2. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in NE Ohio and leave sand in my coop and (uncovered) run all winter. The sand in the run freezes, so when I shovel the snow off, they play outside all winter. The sand in the coop stays dry, so they can continue to dust bathe in the winter if they want. I haven't had any issues with cold sand--they love to be out in the winter and were laying all year. Ohio doesn't get TOO cold for chickens (well, depending on the breed). Read some of those threads about chickens in Alaska etc. and you'll see just how hearty these little girl are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by