SAND in coop/run

LeslieG87

Songster
Jan 6, 2014
Virginia
Hi all,
I've been researching old posts and Googling 'sand in chicken coop.' Who uses it, and where? In the coop or just in the run? My coops are built off the ground in a small barn/shed. My runs are on the small side, which is why I became interested in using sand for aesthetic purposes and possible dust bathing material.
I've heard some argue that chickens simply aren't made to walk or live on sand. On the flipside, most people seem to LOVE using it!!! Need some updated input here. Many thanks :eek:)

....Thought about using a layer of sand THEN shavings or straw on top of that in the coops.

I'm not an expert but I will use sand only in the coop itself and in the small area underneath it.

Sand can be good for drainage in a run...but it can also get stinky and is hard to 'change out'.
Sand in coops can be easy to 'scoop poop' out of...but ditto above.

I use sand on the roost boards, mixed with Sweet PDZ and it is great for sifting out the poops and making the coop bedding last longer. I also used the same mix in a brooder and it worked well.

There are also lots of different kinds of sand, and it's hard to differentiate between the types as the names are arbitrary and colloquial. The coarser and cleaner, no dirt - but no stones/pebbles, the better.

Maybe try it in one of your small runs and see how it works for you?

Lots of examples on BYC

advanced search>title only>sand

Last edited:
I use sand in my uncovered outdoor run AND in the "play" area of my coop. In the roosting area, there is a tray w/Sweet PDZ for scooping. I love the sand. The stuff inside stays nice and dry, they bathe in it all year. The outside sand drains well and doesn't smell. I rake it once in awhile, sometimes scoop the poop and sprinkle on sweet pdz 1/week. Part of my run is sand and the other part is dried leaves, grass and pine needles. In the winter, the sand freezes and I just sweep it off--the girls play out there year-round. I know there's folks out there who have had issues with sand, but it sure works for me. I have a suburban lot in a "no chicken" city!

We use sand in our covered run and the chickens do great with it. Inside the coop we use pine shavings because it seems warmer than sand. In the run the sand is very easy to maintain. I just rake it once or twice a week. Our run is at the base of a hill but the sand has excellent drainage and water just goes right through. The only problem is with all the chickens' scratching they tend to knock some out of the run. But I throw an occasional bag in and they even spread it for me.

We use sand in our covered run and the chickens do great with it. Inside the coop we use pine shavings because it seems warmer than sand. In the run the sand is very easy to maintain. I just rake it once or twice a week. Our run is at the base of a hill but the sand has excellent drainage and water just goes right through. The only problem is with all the chickens' scratching they tend to knock some out of the run. But I throw an occasional bag in and they even spread it for me.

How big is your run and how many chickens do you have?

I am thinking about using sand in our run. I was planing on using a very large grain sand/river sand. What kind do you use?

Thanks!

I am brand new to owning chickens, but I just wanted to add my two cents. I was going to make their entire run out of sand since I had a lot of sand already but I decided not to. what I did was I made a small sand box underneath the coop and left the rest alone. I did put sand in the coop though. I heard and read that the poo was much easier to clean up in the sand vs. shavings and that it doesn't hold odor as much. It makes since to me. again just my 2 cents!

My coop (4'x4') is half and half sand and PDZ and the ladies are happy and have soft feet and it only stinks if it hasn't been cleaned recently.

I'm worried about the frequent rain in my area turning the run into a bog, so I was going to spread sand inside. Would that help? The run would be covered, but I've read that even covered runs get muddy.

I use a fine, cleaned river sand in the yard from a local soil company. Since the yard is dirt, the sand mixes in well with the soil to assist drainage. The birds excavate the yard and mix the sand in with the dirt making it loamy. Grasses still grow in the yard, so the sand actually helps aerate the soil worked so well by the birds. I do not recommend gravel or large particle sand since it is hard on birds' feet.

Sometimes, depending on location, it is also a good idea to dig a ditch in a strategic location and lay drainage pipe. Surround the entire pipe with 3/4 crushed rock and it will keep standing water out of the yard during those heavy rains.

Back
Top Bottom