Sand in Coop.....with Arctic Conditions?

Tuhmu

Crowing
11 Years
May 22, 2012
North Dakota
So I've been seeing this sand in the coop idea floating around for awhile and was just curious what others experiences have been with having sand in the coop during winter. I'm referencing ND, MN, MT, and Canada winters here; where it can be -20 for a week or more. :barnie

Anyone have experience with this? I'm guessing it wouldn't be a whole lot different than what happens with my wood chips, aka, frozen poop pile. But it may be easier to break it up to keep it somewhat clean?

Just looking to make some type of change, remembering how nasty it gets in there ....... during the thaw. :sick

I love the sand overall, have it in my coop and small run (not in my larger run tho). However, even in St. Louis, we had a run of 0 degree days this winter, and that sand was COLD. Hens didn't seem to want to spend any time on it. I ended up adding a layer of shavings and leaves on top when it was so very cold and removing them in the spring. I hadn't thought of that when I went to sand so wanted to mention.

Back
Top Bottom