Sand in the brooder -- it's worth it!

I'm a little concerned. I had fully planned on putting play sand in mine today. Last night I put one cup full in the corners to see how they did with it (around 10pm). They played with it - pecked and scratched and then kind of ignored it. Checked in at 11 pm and they were still ignoring it.

Woke up this morning and checked on them at 6:45 and the sand is gone! All gone - except for a few patches. They were pecking at the area where the sand was. They all look fine and are full of energy, but I'm really wondering if my 4 chicks ate a lot of sand?
I was worried that they ate it all, but at a closer look, it looks like maybe half was eaten. Is that ok?

I too have started using sand, when the chicks and ducks were really little we had to have them in the house and we used shavings, it got really stinky
sickbyc.gif

When it was time to move them outside I purchased some sand after reading reviews from others. It was the BEST decision ever...very easy to clean and no odor!!! I highly recommend using sand.

I'm a little concerned. I had fully planned on putting play sand in mine today. Last night I put one cup full in the corners to see how they did with it (around 10pm). They played with it - pecked and scratched and then kind of ignored it. Checked in at 11 pm and they were still ignoring it. 

Woke up this morning and checked on them at 6:45 and the sand is gone! All gone - except for a few patches. They were pecking at the area where the sand was. They all look fine and are full of energy, but I'm really wondering if my 4 chicks ate a lot of sand? 

I was worried that they ate it all, but at a closer look, it looks like maybe half was eaten. Is that ok?

I use medium grade all purpose prewashed sand it's not as fine as play sand. I read not to use the play sand.

thanks.

It sounds like it's ok for the babies, but not idea for the coop for the older chickens. I plan on getting some grit to mix in the play sand. I'll have to look for a place selling the washed other stuff in amounts less than a yard for when they move into the coop. Right now they are in the house (moving to the garage soon).

Back
Top Bottom