1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Sand in the coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by coachwife2004, Aug 17, 2010.

1. coachwife2004

coachwife2004 In the Brooder

Dec 29, 2008
    Texas
    What is the best way to clean the sand!! I just put sand in last week and it's not really dirty but there is a bit of poop and I feed alot of fruit and veg so there are old bits of strawberries and stuff like that is it best to rake it or ???? Thanks ahead of time! [​IMG]

2. True Grit

True Grit Songster

I rake it with a small rake I got at Target and kind of sift the sand through it. I know I won't be able to do that forever but so far so good, about 7 weeks.

3. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:I have a kitty litter scoop & a beach pail that I use to clean up the sand. It works like a charm!

4. omelet du fromage

omelet du fromage In the Brooder

Mar 31, 2010
    Cape Elizabeth, Maine
    I attached a large kitty litter scoop to the end of a broomstick to sift out the waste. My kids call it the "Cooper Scooper".

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

[​IMG] Why not the Super Duper Cooper Pooper Scooper???? Have your kids try THAT one three times fast...lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by