Sand In The Run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Loddie Da, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Loddie Da

Loddie Da Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2007
    Troy, New York
    I was thinking of putting sand in my run...Good idea or not? Why or why not?

I live in South Florida & we get lots of rain half the year, So I thought it would stop the run from being all muddy, plus dust bath city 24/7 [​IMG]

Do you think it would get to hot?

I also think it would help keep the poisonous cane toads out of my run. We have alot of them around here.

Thanks for the help.

~ Della ~

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    It seems that people in wet environments often use sand. There were some interesting discussions a few days earlier in this thread. Is your run covered? Sand exposed to the sun here in AZ is far too hot for them to walk on. Hopefully someone who has sand will pipe in.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Have you looked up some of the past threads? People who have sand seem to really love it. I have just used dry leaves in my covered run up until now, when I've run out, so will probably be putting in some sand. Seems like you just rake it or scoop it like a kitty box. [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  4. bakohens

bakohens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2010
    Bakersfield
    I have sand in my run. I did it for the cleanliness factor - I use a kitty-litter scoop and a rake to keep it clean. I live in a pretty hot and dry area, but I think sand would work where it is more damp, but make sure there is plenty of shade. The sand does get pretty hot in the sun, but it stays fairly cool in the shade - even on 100+ degrees days.

5. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I have sand in both of our runs, but they're covered and shaded. I love sand runs.

6. goatranch

goatranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    I finally have sand in my run. I love it!!! I rake in some baking soda and Diatomaceous Earth. There is a lot less smell, less flies, and no mud![​IMG] My run is covered and also in a spot that gets alot of shade in the afternoon. I wish I had done it sooner!!

7. jeb251

jeb251 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am building 6 new breeding coops and muddy runs was one thing I wanted to me sure that I never had to deal with, so I put stone sand in my runs, the coop section is above the ground and will provide a shaded area, I will also plant grapevines around the coop for shade and treats. Here is a link to the coops dont forget to open the photobucket link there are lots more pics there.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=375826

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by