Sand/PDZ in brooder box?

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
My chicks are 4 weeks old. Is there any reason not to switch their bedding to sand and/or Sweet PDZs (which is what is in the coop and run so it will be what they move to soon enough)? I am sick of the smell of wet pine shavings from these little monkeys tipping their water over constantly and sand is so much easier to clean anyway. The brooder is in my house and they'll be in it a few more weeks before moving to the coop if that makes any difference at all.

ive found the best solution for a cheap brooder setup is always a cardboard box, they come in all sizes and are disposable, just tape up the seams and corners so dust doesnt leak out .. for water, to start with a large lid with just bit of water in it works good, when they reach the size they trash it or tip it real quick, switch to an old coffee mug and secure it in the corner using the handle and stick an old screwdriver through the box corner and handle to hold it .. the same setup in the other end with food works good to .. simple, and effective ..

ive found the best solution for a cheap brooder setup is always a cardboard box, they come in all sizes and are disposable, just tape up the seams and corners so dust doesnt leak out .. for water, to start with a large lid with just bit of water in it works good, when they reach the size they trash it or tip it real quick, switch to an old coffee mug and secure it in the corner using the handle and stick an old screwdriver through the box corner and handle to hold it .. the same setup in the other end with food works good to .. simple, and effective ..

Thanks but they are already 4 weeks old and past the initial stages. I'm just trying to eek it out before they move outside with the rest of the ladies.

Thanks but they are already 4 weeks old and past the initial stages. I'm just trying to eek it out before they move outside with the rest of the ladies.
Did you end up using sand in the brooder? I am thinking about doing this. I've only ever used shavings, but the dust is annoying and I can't brood outside because next week is like polar vortex revisited :rant

Did you end up using sand in the brooder? I am thinking about doing this. I've only ever used shavings, but the dust is annoying and I can't brood outside because next week is like polar vortex revisited :rant

I ended up with PDZ and I have mixed feelings about it. It was less smelly than wet pine shavings but with how small chick poop is, scooping it wasn't as easy as the bigger pullet poop. And with the amount of water spills the babies have as they were learning to fly up to the waterer and then to the top of the box, it was a lot less convenient than it is outside in the coop/run. I think if I were doing it again, I'd stick with the PDZ and get a different chick waterer so it wasn't spilling as much.

I ended up with PDZ and I have mixed feelings about it. It was less smelly than wet pine shavings but with how small chick poop is, scooping it wasn't as easy as the bigger pullet poop. And with the amount of water spills the babies have as they were learning to fly up to the waterer and then to the top of the box, it was a lot less convenient than it is outside in the coop/run. I think if I were doing it again, I'd stick with the PDZ and get a different chick waterer so it wasn't spilling as much.
Why not get away from an open waterer which would solve your problem

Back
Top Bottom