1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

sand run question(s)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by randomchicklady, Apr 19, 2009.

1. randomchicklady

randomchicklady Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    I had some leftover sand from a masonry project. I brought it down and piled it up where our run will be since I hear a lot of people on here talking about benefits of having sand runs. 2 questions though -

1- will I have to pick poo out of the run if it is sand to keep it clean?

2- how many inches of sand should I have to keep it a sand run? Right now I don't think it will be enough and will just end up getting scratched into the dirt.

Thanks!

2. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have 13 chickens in our sand run. They have been in there each day for a month and i havent had to clean up yet. It seems to desolve away , perhaps from being scratced in and the rain might be washing it away. Our sand is about 4 inches deep. The run is 8 x 22. Hope that helps.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    My runs are all sand also. I never really rake it out, unless I toss some straw or leaves in there for them to play with. Their poo dries up quick from the sand and just disappears. I would guess I probably have mine 4-6 inches deep. I plan to add more in the next month though. What I put in there last year has packed down a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by