Sand Run

TheKidAndDame

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Gator Nation, FL
Well, I just moved the new coop to the required distance from my house per town ordinance. Unfortunately, the area is rather damp so I am anticipating fly/smell issues. I have decided on a sand run to combat some of these problems. Is there any specific type of sand I need to buy or anything I need to steer clear of? Any advice would be appreciated.

We were thinking about switching to sand too.
I told my husband I'd put a rake in there and we could pretend it's our ZEN garden when raking up the poop!
lau.gif

Last edited:
Me me!!!! The sand has made a HUGE difference in my life I will say that much. My pens are on the side of a hill and whenever it rained it was always a mud pit and just stank something awful as all the water ran right down into it. I tried lime, DE, nothing worked.
This summer I had an above ground pool taken down and of course there was sand under it. I had read opinions on it here so decided that was where to put the sand. Lots of work getting it there but oh myyyyyyyyy, no more smell!!!!!!!! Easy to clean, drains great, what a difference. If you are having that problem I will hightly recommend it. Just regular sand will do, I have mine maybe a couple of inches thick if that. Best thing I ever did for my situation.

I have sand and I love it, drains well, rakes well, drys well after the rain, no puddles, no mud, they love to dig holes and dust bath in it. Can I say more! just add a bag every few months.

A note of caution, don't use masonry sand that has a orange red color. I got some free and my poor silkie looks like she's had a bad dye job no other reason but I makes her not so darn purty!

I like the "washed" sand, or a coarser sand. I love sand. I live where my backyard is like the beach, and my horses manure doesn't smell cause the sand just sucks it up and it disappears.

thekidanddame, your in gainesville I take it. What did they say the law was about having them there? I am just curious since to know what they say in alachua county. Thanks so much.

I am actually in Micanopy. We straddle Alachua and Marion counties. Our town allows all livestock except pigs. There is no minimum lot size but you do need to keep coops 100 ft from all dwellings. There is also no limit on number of animals. I know that Alachua county ordinance says that you need to have at least 1 acre and you are allowed 40 fowl per acre. I believe there is also a 50 ft rule in place. I live in the middle of town here and many of my neighbors have livestock. I know of three families within 1/2 mile that have chickens, all have roosters and another that has goats. We are pretty farm friendly down here.

Oh we do have one funny town rule that says if you find livestock on your property you are allowed to keep it. I am waiting for my neighbor's Buff Orph to wander over as it free ranges all over town. Kidding.

Back
Top Bottom