1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Sand vs pine shavings in coop??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by DirtDiva, Jan 8, 2012.

1. DirtDiva

DirtDiva Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2011
    Magnolia, TEXAS
    My Coop
    Our coop is almost complete. We built the roost with a poop board below which we plan to fill w/sand so we can scoop poop out daily. If we use sand in coop, won't need poop board. Noticed some use sand in coop and others DLM w/pine shavings. Does anyone have pros/cons to share on which method works better for your setup? thanks...[​IMG]

2. jaj121159

jaj121159 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2010
    Northeast Nebraska
    I think it depends on your time and how many chickens you have. We have over 70 spread over five coops now and willing adding at least two coops and 70+/- chickens this coming spring. The best thing about the Deep Litter Method is not having to clean or scoop daily. Clean the poop board once a week or as needed. Add litter once a month or so, clean the coop once a year. Works for us since we both work and don't have the time to clean five coops daily. Wouldn't do it any differently.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by