Sand vs pine shavings

chicky1016

Songster
6 Years
Jun 20, 2015
South jersey USA
Picking pine shavings out of the water 10 times a day is starting to get old. Can i just get some play sand from Lowe's? Its been raining here all week so nothing is dry. I figured it would also service as dust bathing too. Thoughts?

I've only herd of good things when it comes to sand. Sharpe sand has grit in it as well so serves as that purpose as well. I'm doing all my run in sand

Picking pine shavings out of the water 10 times a day is starting to get old. Can i just get some play sand from Lowe's? Its been raining here all week so nothing is dry. I figured it would also service as dust bathing too. Thoughts?
Are you talking about in a brooder?
Have you tried putting the water up on a brick or block of wood?
That can really help.

I use washed and kiln dried bagged sand mixed with PDZ in the brooder....
.....it's pretty nice for sifting out poops but can turn to cement on their feet, toes, and especially toenails when mixed with a gooey poop.

You also have to make sure they don't eat too much of it,
by putting their food on something solid (I use a large tote lid) for the first week.

I hate this as well. I started with a half brick just to get the feeder and waterer off the brooder floor. 7days later, put a half a cinder block to raise the waterer off more. This has helped a tad.
PS play sand is AWFUL for chicks as its to fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom