Sandhill Preservation Center - Breeds

I got a couple of Orloffs in my last shipment from Sandhill. They were Orloffs, NOT Speckled Sussex. Very distinctive head. Even as chicks, they looked different from the others. Too bad my landlord's dog killed the entire batch when they were half grown.

Also- 90% roosters? No. They don't sex their chicks. Sex ratios can always vary. I've had it happen in goats, have seen it happen with kittens and puppies too, but if you're imagining that he's sexing the chicks and sending folks the males, he's not. I ordered the chepaest assortment he had and still got roughly 50/50 f/m.

Glenn is honest when he says that he is still workign on comb type, or that off types/colors are cropping up. He is not claiming to have show quality birds. And it's kind of conspicuous to me that some of his biggest detractors are also people who want to sell their own stock.

I am new to chickens but have bred dairy goats for years, and this seems like a lot of the same old stuff to me. I can't tell you how many people had much *prettier* animals than mine, often stronger boned or sharper and smoother in the withers or whatever....and their goats did not milk like mine did! When you breed for appearance over utility, that happens. Yes, conformation is important, especially if it's structural...but I'd rather tolerate a color defect than an animal that produces less or does not do the job it was bred to do. Mr. Drowns strikes me as being a farmer, a practical man. I like that, and I particularly like that he gives details on hardiness, disposition, and details like whether the breed is prone to egg eating. I like the candid nature of his catalog and it saddens me to see him badmouthed here. :-(

I got a couple of Orloffs in my last shipment from Sandhill. They were Orloffs, NOT Speckled Sussex. Very distinctive head. Even as chicks, they looked different from the others. Too bad my landlord's dog killed the entire batch when they were half grown.

Also- 90% roosters? No. They don't sex their chicks. Sex ratios can always vary. I've had it happen in goats, have seen it happen with kittens and puppies too, but if you're imagining that he's sexing the chicks and sending folks the males, he's not. I ordered the chepaest assortment he had and still got roughly 50/50 f/m.

Glenn is honest when he says that he is still workign on comb type, or that off types/colors are cropping up. He is not claiming to have show quality birds. And it's kind of conspicuous to me that some of his biggest detractors are also people who want to sell their own stock.

I am new to chickens but have bred dairy goats for years, and this seems like a lot of the same old stuff to me. I can't tell you how many people had much *prettier* animals than mine, often stronger boned or sharper and smoother in the withers or whatever....and their goats did not milk like mine did! When you breed for appearance over utility, that happens. Yes, conformation is important, especially if it's structural...but I'd rather tolerate a color defect than an animal that produces less or does not do the job it was bred to do. Mr. Drowns strikes me as being a farmer, a practical man. I like that, and I particularly like that he gives details on hardiness, disposition, and details like whether the breed is prone to egg eating. I like the candid nature of his catalog and it saddens me to see him badmouthed here. :-(
thumbsup.gif
X2

I don't see a lot of recent bad mouthing. some disappointment yes but I will say there communication was horrible. I knew what I was getting into based on a few other members. when Id check they would never call me back. I was lucky enough to have Linda ( I believe was her name answer the phone once). They called me the day after the birds shipped to tell me. I would not be opposed to ordering again if I wasn't breeding for standard but since I am I can not and my experience with the Penedesenca I got most did not look pure. So that is my only experience.

Anyone received a chick order yet this year? I know the weather has been absolutely evil to them, but I'd like to at least know if I will ever see my order. We past the latest ship date on my confirmation letter. If they don't think they can fill the order that's fine I understand, but it would sure be nice to know. We're scheduled pretty tightly so getting a sudden delivery notice could be disastrous. I don't want to get an email in 2 months saying there's chicks on the way!

I got a shipment from them last week. With their first three hatches canceled, I don't know what they are doing to catch up. I usually leave shipdates up to them since I don't really have a schedule, they were past the first possible ones they had marked for mine also. You might try emailing or calling them, or even writing a letter, especially if there are dates you can not take chicks on... unless you tell them they may very well just send chicks whenever they happen to have them available for your order....

I have an order scheduled for Jun 3. My order was for assortments and gave them a 3 month window for shipping. I don't have a tight schedule so it's ok with me whenever I get them but hopefully before the weather here gets brutally hot like in July, August and September. But you are correct in it would be nice to prepare for them in advance. It's just wait and see.
jumpy.gif

Mixed orpingtion colors, speckled sussex, and they are throwing in some red sussex to cover some shortages. Should be an intersting mix. As usual the hard part is deciding what to keep and what to sell.

Back
Top Bottom